Chapter - 12

Sachin was sitting on the living room couch with his head resting on the back of it and eyes closed.

Nakul has been his best friend from the moment they met three years back. Nakul's parents are Indians, settled in the US, and he is an American. He shifted to Australia to explore a different country and have new experiences. He met Nisha through Sachin, and they three became close friends immediately. Nakul and Sachin share an apartment and spend the majority of their time together. So they both know each other very well. They can interpret even the slightest expression change of one another, and now Nakul knows that Sachin is hurt and not in a mood to talk. But he couldn't ignore Nisha's teary eyes. So he went and sat beside Sachin.

Nakul: "Hey dude!! just relax man!! you guys are going to get married. Why do you have to fight on silly issues?" Sachin glared at Nakul.

Sachin: "My sister is not a silly issue for me Nakul." He shouted at Nakul

Nakul: "But why now? Why do you want her to be there? We all know she hasn't been to India for a long time. Then why can't you wait until the wedding gets over? Just understand from Nisha's point Man!"

Sachin: " What should I understand? That her dad doesn't want my sister to attend my wedding? Why would they be bothered by her? When our family didn't accept her, I thought they were hurt as they all loved her a lot, and they needed time. But when I saw Nisha's dad talking about her with such disgust, I couldn't tolerate it Nakul. She is my sister. She doesn't deserve any of this. She is not a slut or a whore who slept around with guys and got pregnant with kids. She adopted five kids who lost their parents, who would have been thrown to the streets otherwise, and what is she getting in return? Taunts? Flirtatious and Disgusting looks? No. I'm her brother. I love her more than Keerthi, and I cannot tolerate anyone disrespecting her. Who are they to decide whether my sister can attend the wedding or not? She is our gem, just like their daughter is for them, and if they can't tolerate her, then I can't accept them either. I cannot respect them if they cannot respect my family. I won't give up on her for anything or anyone. I was an immature fool and couldn't be bold enough to stand by her side. She fought her battles all alone. I thought my family was taking time as they were deeply hurt, but now I understand why she didn't come back, and nobody wanted her to. It is because of these same disgusting looks and rumors about her. She is such a selfless person, and if I don't stand up for her now, then everyone will banish her till death. You have no idea about what kind of person she is. If you knew, you wouldn't have talked about her like that. I'm proud of my sister, and I don't want her to hide from society and family anymore."

Nakul was left speechless. Though he had heard about this controversial sister of Sachin, he didn't know much about her story. Nobody was willing to share about it. Nisha had once told him that her family is against their wedding because of his unmarried sister, with five American kids. Even she didn't explain much, and he also thought she might have had a relationship with some Americans and had babies, and being a conservative family, they didn't accept it.

Having roots in India, Nakul knows how conservative the society is in his native. So, he can imagine what Sachin and Nisha are going through. What Meera might have gone through. Now, after hearing all these, an unknown feeling is bubbling inside him. He doesn't know why, but he now has an urge to meet this mystery girl.

Nakul: "Ok. Dude. Calm down. Nisha must have talked out of her concern. Just talk with her after some time, she was crying after you left. You know her. We both know that she is not a selfish person. She is also under a lot of pressure and doing all these because she doesn't want to lose you. We all know how much adamant our parents can be. She is panicked.

So calm down and talk with her. "

Sachin nodded and left for his room.

'... And, I want to meet this controversial sister of yours.' Nakul thought to himself.