8. No shit, Sherlock.

JAMES' POV

Today's the try-outs for Quidditch. I have to choose who's gonna be on the Gryffindor team. It's always hard to choose. I posted the announcement a few days ago. And now I am waiting on the pitch for people to come. We're on the 24th of September and as we're in the Highlands, mornings are already a wee bit cold. It's eight in the morning on Saturday and people don't look so happy that they're woken up so early.

I am waiting ten minutes or so, the time needed for everyone to be here. I look at the sky and play at catch and release the snitch. When there's a little crowd, I look at it to see if there are any familiar faces. Sirius is here of course, as well as Mary and Alice. There are two third years I saw in the common room a few times and 3 fourth years, and then... No. It must be a hallucination. Lily Evans. She is here and waiting for the instructions. I blush a little feeling her look on me.

Lily was in the Gryffindor team during from our second to our fifth years. She is a very good chaser. She stopped playing when I became the Captain because I was apparently " too much of a show-off ".

I see Sirius grinning as he notices what's happening. I'll put it on the cold's fault.

" So everyone take your broom, if you don't have one, there are some in the lockets up there, I say pointing at them. Let's go first for a warm-up. Fly accross and around the pitch. "

A third year run to take a broom as the others push their foot on the ground to go up.

I see Sirius warming up, showing-off to Remus sitting in the bleachers next to Peter, Rey's just staring at Sirius. This one winks at him, then Peter says something in desapprobation, Remus blushes red.

Once everyone warmed up, I divide the " team " in three parts.
I tell a few ones to try for chasers, a few others for beaters and two for keepers by the goals. And then when I whistle, they change so I can see at which position they are the best.

Lily tries-out for chaser first. She hasn't lost anything. She's as good as she was two years ago. She misses only a few times when throwing the quaffle in one of the holes. I know Sirius will tease me about it, but I just can't not choose her.

After two hours, when everyone tried every positions, I call them back on the ground.

" I chose who are going to be part of the team. I just wanted to say that all of you are really good and talented. I am really sorry if I didn't pick you, it doesn't mean you can be picked next year with the new Captain.
Anyways, I won't make you wait any longer ! The keeper will be Alexander Wood. The beaters are Sirius Black and Alice Fortescue. And finally, the chasers for this year are Mary MacDonald, Theodor Finnigan and... Lily Evans.
Congratulations all of you and welcome in the team ! Again, I am really sorry for everyone who didn't get picked, it was really hard to choose because y'all are very very talented, thank you for trying out. '

Sirius went immediately to see me.

" Thanks mate for picking me as beater ! " he says putting his arm around my shoulders.
" Of course ! Who would you want me to pick for beaters besides you and Alice ? "

He smirks.

" So, Evans is a chaser now ! "
" Yep, as you heard me. "
" It's not because of your lifetime crush on her, right ? "
" No ! I saw you grinning like a git ! It's not, it's really not. She's really good ! "
" I know she's good ! Hasn't she lost the hand since fifith year though ? "
" No ! And it really impressed me. "
" Do you reckon she practiced during these two years ? "
" Where would she practiced ? Not in her garden ! Imagine the trouble she would have with The Ministry of Magic if she would ! "
" How then ? "
" I don't know, maybe it's an inborn gift. "