Chapter 33: No More Time

Kuruk deflects the blaster shot with a wave of his hand, simultaneously ripping the blaster out of your grip with an invisible force. It skids across the smooth floor. You pull the knife out of your pocket and duck as he aims a punch at your face. He's going to try to render you unconscious with the least amount of damage he can inflict. Coward. You spin, trying to get yourself behind him to knock his knees out from under him. He side-steps, turning to keep his body facing you.

You spring up and pounce at him as he turns, knife pointing toward his injured shoulder. He turns his shoulder and grips your forearm painfully with his opposite hand. He pulls you into him, and glares directly into your eyes, pupils large, dark and conflicted. You use the twist move Ap'lek taught you, but Kuruk is ready to compensate. His other hand grips the back of your neck painfully. You yelp as he twists your body. He replaces his grip on your forearm and presses it into your back, the flat of the blade pointing up your spine. He smashes you into the wall, pressing his chest into you.

He growls in your ear, breaking through the blaring alarm in the corridor. "It's too late for you to turn back now. I need you to know that."

He pulls your body off the wall a few inches, then slams you back into it. You moan with pain. His mind flashes to something else at your noise, and you wiggle your ass back into his groin in response. He grunts, pushing into you, and you feel him start to grow hard against you.

You let out a dark chuckle. "Kuruk, you sick fuck."

He loosens his grip to put a hand on your ass, unable to help himself, and you take the opportunity to twist out of his grasp. You point the knife outward as you spin, and you feel it scrape against Kuruk's skin. He hisses, and you can see the shallow red line as you turn to face him. It starts under his ribs and cuts through the bandages on his chest. Little beads of blood start to leak out and dribble down. shreds of gauze fall to his sides.

Your breath comes fast as you look into his eyes, trying to anticipate his next move. His mind is too conflicted. His heart is throbbing painfully against his chest. He's desperate for more time.

"There's no more time! I have no more time!" You pant through your words, sweat beginning to bead at your hairline.

He takes a quick step toward you, looking like he's going to grab your knife arm, but you can feel his intention elsewhere. He lowers himself at the last minute to punch upward into your lower gut. You scuttle back with the blow, but lose your footing and fall. Pain shoots up both arms when you catch yourself with your hands. The one holding the knife slams down onto the handle, its raised design cutting into your palm.

You scramble up as he steps toward you. He crouches down to swipe your legs out from under you as you rise, but you roll away just in time. Your breath comes quick, heart pounding in your chest. You don't know how much time has past, but this needs to end. Kuruk needs to hurry up and make a mistake while he's still trying to take it easy on you. He senses your thoughts and shakes his head.

"You know I can't let you go- we'll both get killed."

You nod and stand up. "I know you can't."

You lunge toward him, knife out. At the same moment, he lunges toward you. Your bodies crash together, and you barely hold onto the knife as he sends you reeling backward. Your back falls to the cold floor again, but this time your head hits the floor. You grunt and groan, squeezing your eyes shut for a short second, your mind struggling to focus. The alarm blares through the corridor, reminding you of the importance of speed.

Kuruk leaps on top of you, a triumphant yes resounding in his mind. He focuses on your wrists and pins them down at your sides with the Force as he lands on top of your body, crushing you. His thoughts are grateful that you didn't make him hurt you. And arrogant at his speed, despite your ability to anticipate his moves.