Chapter 1: Nice Enough

Three months have passed since your current assignment started. No one would tell you what happened to the last Command Shuttle engineer, only that a new one was needed. But that is the least of your worries. The Command Shuttle requires constant attention when it isn't out wreaking havoc on the galaxy. It is far above your paygrade to know what the Supreme Leader, Kylo Ren, puts the shuttle through, but it's clear that nearly all his missions end in a bloodbath. The one consistency with the Command Shuttle was that every time his Knights are with him, you have a big mess to clean up. 

Today is one such day. You are woken by your datapad beeping rapidly at you. The Command Shuttle is due to dock in one hour and needs repairs immediately so it can take off again. You groan and pad your way to the refresher to get ready for the day.

You wake your two-year son Deneb gently. He is groggier than you, but you both get out of your quarters in time to walk him to the childcare facility at a leisurely pace. It's unusual for a First Order employee to have children accompany them on the Finalizer. The dozen other children of varying ages belong to high ranking couples who barely give their children the time of day. You rarely use the babysitter droid that was issued to you, while they raise most of the children on this ship.

"You have a great day at school, buddy. Mommy loves you very much! After school, miss Mahri will pick you up and spend the evening with you, how does that sound?"

Deneb jumps up and down at the mention of her name. "Miss Mahri!! I love you Mommy, byeee!"

You wave, then hurry to your workstation in hanger 2. Mahri is already there, her short blonde hair straight and gelled behind her ears. It's never been flattering to her round, friendly face, but it is First Order protocol. She stands tall and confident with her hands clasped behind her back. The moment she sees you she smiles in your direction.

"Good morning, Mahri, what have you got today?"

"Ugh." She grunts rolling her eyes. "I'm still working on that TIE fighter from yesterday. I swear some of these pilots were trained by Jawas. They can't help but tear their ships apart during battles."

You chuckle. "I think I remember exactly which pilot you're talking about. I had to repair that TIE fighter several times."

"Anyway, I should be done shortly after lunch, so I was planning on getting Deneb early if that's okay with you? I need a little goofy Deneb time to help me de-stress!"

"Yeah, absolutely. He was excited when I told him this morning. And thank you again for taking him tonight. I really need a night off."

"Of course! You deserve it! I better get going on that fighter. I'll see you tonight!"

Mahri quickly walks away toward the TIE fighter section of the hanger. You turn and head toward the opposite end of the huge hanger where the Command Shuttle will be landing in 4 minutes. You fiddle with your hands, waiting on the shuttle, and rehearse in your mind what you are likely to see when it lands. You've never seen the Supreme Leader or his Knights up close, only from across the hanger as they prowl toward the command deck in an intimidating group. The shuttle will no doubt have scorch marks both on the outside and inside, possibly blood splattered near the ramp. If the knights are with him, it will smell like a boy's locker room, though they have their own ship, the Night Buzzard, but no one is allowed on board outside the knighthood- so you've heard. 

 You compose yourself, stiffen your back, and straighten your uniform. It is very likely General Hux will be with the Supreme Leader. He is your commanding officer, superseding the head engineer on your bay, due to the importance of your position. He's annoyingly strict about presentation. His pinched face is always looking you up and down, judging everything from your appearance to your abilities as an engineer.