Chapter Six: Blood and Water

Start from the beginning

A sly smile crossed Claudia's face. "They're good, aren't they? No, there's not a human under there. The soldiers are androids, armed with weapons our lab designed. And guns," she said. "That's not all, though. Your DNA holds the key to revolutionizing superpowers. You could help us in so many ways." Her head tipped to the side. "Tell me, do you know of any other kids like you?"

Adam. Summer. Sam and his sister. "No," Eric lied.

Claudia's expression flickered. As quickly as her annoyance had appeared, it was gone. Eric needed to change the subject before she pressed him further.

"You want altered so that you can study us?" he asked.

Claudia was quiet for a painfully long moment. "Sort of," she finally said. "It's more than just looking at your genetics. We're working on tech that could amplify your abilities, new serums, new weapons—there's a lot. But that's not all we need you for." She moved back toward her desk. "Gathering information and supplies isn't easy. Our altered go on missions to take care of whatever we need. Think of it like running errands, but on a grander scale. We also have made some...enemies that need to be dealt with on occasion."

Eric's eyes narrowed. "Sounds like you're running a child army."

"But you're not ordinary children. You have gifts." Claudia slid into her chair. "It'd be a shame to waste them, wouldn't it?"

"I'd rather waste them than use them to kidnap people," Eric told her. "Come on, you kept me locked in a laser cell all night. My family's probably out looking for me right now." Part of him grimaced. Claudia's politeness, as fake as it was, had subdued the worst of his anxiety. No one had threatened to hurt him, yet. But lecturing the person who'd kidnapped him about morals was bound to end badly.

"My apologies. Our recruitment methods are aggressive but necessary. I assure you we have the best intentions." Claudia pressed the tips of her fingers together as she leaned forward. "You're part of a select group, Eric. There's a reason for the powered kids in Tyche Point. For the past few years, tensions have been rising behind the scenes," she said. "Scorpion's not the only organization who knows you exist. Other people are after you, too. Whether you like it or not, you are going to get caught up in this war." Her eyes narrowed. "You can make a choice now, or you can run out of options later."

Eric's heart quickened. "What other groups? And do you know how we got our powers?"

"Those are questions I'd be happy to answer," Claudia replied. "If you agree to join us."

Claudia wasn't exactly making Scorpion sound like a dream job. The strange thing was, she didn't seem to care that Eric was clearly put off by the whole operation. She watched him with a smug expression, confidence on her face, triumph in her eyes.

"And if I join you, then what?" Eric asked. "What about my family? School?" Would you pay me better than my minimum wage ice cream scooping job?

Not that he was actually entertaining the idea.

"Scorpion is so much bigger than all of that, Eric," Claudia said. "But of course, I'll allow you to contact your family to let them know you're alive."

Did she know she sounded absurd? Eric shook his head. "I don't want to be a part of this."

Claudia flashed her coldest smile yet. "Very well. It was worth a try."

Eric's stomach turned. No way. No way she was giving up so easily. Something was up. Before he could speak, Claudia held up a cell phone and pressed a button on the screen. "Send Ash in."

The office door opened. Ash entered and cast Eric a quick glance before looking at Claudia. "The soldiers said I'm supposed to take him to the lab?"

"You sound confused," Claudia said plainly.