Missing Friends & Mental Assessments... Oh, Joy!

Start from the beginning

"'Cause we're low on campers?" I ask, already knowing the answer.

"'Cause we're low on campers." Nico confirms with a nod.

"How about luck regarding Leo?"

"Nothing. No more scroll videos, no word from the Romans, nothing."

"So we're just in the dark until we can figure something out?"

"It appears that way."

"We can't just do nothing." I say seriously. "We can't just wait around for more campers to go missing and consider that another clue."

"Will, there's nothing we can do." Nico shuts me down. "Even so - and I don't mean this in an offensive way - what could you do?"

I feel my posture stiffen and I narrow my eyes a little. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"Will, you're a healer." Nico deadpans.

"So?" I respond stubbornly.

"Will, you can't just go marching off in search of campers with no plan and very limited information. It's not going to solve anything."

"So I'll make a plan." I argue. "Plus, I know how to do archery, I can defend myself."

"I know you can," Nico says softly. "but it's still not safe. For you or anyone."

I scoff lightly. "So when the next camper goes missing-"

"This isn't your fight, Solace." Nico says harshly.

"Well, I'm making it my fight." I say confidently.

"I really don't think you're in the right headspace right no-"

"I'm in the perfect headspace." I hiss, feeling anger bubble up within me.

Nico closes his eyes and takes a few deep breaths. His jaw ticks once before his eyes flutter back open and he leans forward, placing his forearms on the table and intertwining his fingers together. "Will, I am not going to let you run off to kill yourself because you're not feeling your best right now. "

I open my mouth to respond but close it again, not really sure what to say. I know I'm- I was upset. I had every right to be. My mom treated me like I was nothing and pretty much erased my name off the family tree because of who I am, something I can't control. I got my time to process my feelings and be sad, but it doesn't stretch much farther than that.

It shouldn't, it doesn't, and it won't.

So for Nico to think it does and that I would do something as drastic as to... I don't even want to think about. It's not something I would do and it's something I've never really given much thought to in the past, so it shouldn't be an option to Nico or anyone else. I know who I am and what I can handle.

"While that may not be your primary agenda," Nico continues. "it could be somewhere in your subconscious. I think you should maybe take some more days off from the infirmary, Will."

"But- but I'm better." I insist.

"No, Will. Weather you're aware of it or not, you're far from okay right now."

"Nico-"

"You promised me you would let me know if something was bothering you." Nico reminds me.

"I know, and I'm staying true to that promise. I genuinely think I'm better!" I exclaim. Nico bites his lip a little and shakes his head.

"I don't want to argue with you."

"This isn't an argument."

"Okay." Nico puts his hands up in surrender and leans back. "Okay. Let's say hypothetically you weren't okay. What would you do?"