Curiosity

Nico POV

So here we are, sitting awkwardly around the table as Will stares at this Holly person.

"What're you doing here?" Will asks.

"Our parents are keen on getting us together it seems." She says shyly.

"And you're okay with this?"

"Well-"

"How about we give you lovebirds some privacy, huh?" Naomi says as she ushers us all out of the room.

So we're all forced to lock ourselves in our rooms while they "talk" as Naomi put it. Monique and I sit for maybe fifteen minutes before she stands up abruptly.

Somehow, I think this is bothering Monique more than it's bothering me.

"That's it! Can't do it!" Monique jumps up and walks out the bedroom door, me following right behind her.

"Where are you going?"

"Aren't you the tiniest bit curious?"

"Of course! But I trust Will."

"Not saying I don't. Just saying I'm curious." I think for a moment.

"Monique-"

"Nope."

"You can't keep using excuses to distract yourself from your own problems."

She freezes, halfway down the hall. "I'm not-" She cuts herself off. "You... You don't need to worry about me Neeks. Okay?"

"You're my friend. More than that, family. It's sort of my job to worry about you."

She turns toward me and for a second, I can really see how much this past year or so has broken her down. "Let's go downstairs." She says in a quiet voice. "Spy on your lover boy. Please?"

"Fine," I give after a few moments. "let's see what they're talking about." Monique plasters back on a smile and as she grabs my hand and pulls me down the stairs. She stops abruptly in front of the living room doorway, seeing Naomi sitting on the couch.

She swiftly directs us to the left into a little hall, turning right into the kitchen. Peaking over the little island, we see Will and Holly sitting at the dining room table, staring at each other awkwardly.

We duck down and move past the stove and fridge until we're behind the island.

For a few seconds, the two are completely silent. Then, Will gives an annoyed sigh. "Mom, we can't really talk if you're going to be sitting right there!" He snaps. Naomi seems to take a hint and we hear her footsteps begin to recede down to the basement.

"Okay," starts Holly, "What do you want to talk about?"

"How about what you're doing here."

"My mom and yours have been planning our marriage for like, years now. It's actually quite annoying."

"You think? Why didn't Harper tell me about this?"

"Well how should I know? You think I want this? I really don't, believe me."

"I don't either! I'm... I'm happily taken."

"Yeah, same here. Doesn't look like they care though."

"Well... I haven't really... told my mom I'm happily taken yet."

"I.... I'm in the same boat as you, it seems."

"Well then I guess-"

Knock knock knock. "Holly! Time to come home, dear!" calls a voice from the door. We suddenly hear the sound of chairs scraping the floor.

"I'd better go."

"Yeah I'll see you around I guess."

"Oh yes you will!" That's Naomi, "Because you're going on a date tomorrow!"

"What?!" Will exclaims.

"Mmhm! It's going to be amazing!"

Their voices soon become too muffled to hear so we shimmy back to the mini hallway and so we could peer over at the door where Will and Naomi are standing.

"Mom, I can't date Holly!"

"And why in God's name not?"

"Because she's my friend! I don't like her like that!"

"Oh honey don't think like that! You've practically only just met! Do you think Arthur loved Guenevere when they first got together?"

"Didn't Guenevere cheat on Arthur with Lancelot-"

"The point is," She cuts him off. "Just give it a try, okay? For me?"

"Fine." He gives after a few moments.

"That's my boy!" We hear Naomi gush. "Oh! Remind me, I want to do a family picnic eventually."

"Okay, Mom." Will says before walking upstairs presumably back to his room.

***

"So... you guys were spying on me?" Will asks. We're now back in his room explaining to Will what we heard while downstairs.

"Don't think of it so much as spying think of it as... satisfying curiosity and ADHD." Monique offers.

"Well, now you guys know I'm going on a date tomorrow." He says with mock enthusiasm.

"And that's my que to leave." Monique says before slipping out of the room.

I roll my eyes and place my attention back onto my boyfriend. "So a date."

"Yep. I've fallen for someone else. She's wonderful and I think we're going to get married."

I glare at him. "Oh really?"

"Probably the most gorgeous woman I've ever met and I've never been so into someone before."

"So what am I?" I ask curiously.

He thinks for a moment before answering, "The side piece."

I feel my jaw drop slightly. "Me? The side piece?"

He nods his head enthusiastically. "Pretty much."

"You're a dork." I tell him.

"So I've been told." He says as he leans in to place a chaste kiss to my lips.

"Are you going to be okay? On the date, I mean."

"Aw, you're worried about me?" He says, placing his hands on heart.

I punch his arm playfully. "Shut up." In truth, I worry a lot about Will. We talk so much about wanting to be truthful to each other but I sometimes get the feeling that if he was going through something, he wouldn't tell me. He wouldn't want to worry me or something which is ridiculous. I lean in and kiss him lightly.

Will hums lightly against my lips. As I go to pull away, he gives me one more chaste kiss. "I lo-" he cuts himself off. "I'm really happy we met." I force a smile, knowing what he was really about to say. Instead of ruining the moment with an argument, I reply with,

"Ditto."