Chapter 40: Seductress

Start from the beginning

Alexi chuckled, "Most people—women, would never stop blabbering around me. And yet here you are, looking bored."

"I am not bored. But you make such uncomfortable conversations and I do not like it. Also, I am not like most people."

"That, I can see." Alexi frowned at his card and at the one from Em's deck. Ace of spades. He tucked it in together with his other five and reshuffled them. "And I hate to say that I find it challenging that you refuse to show off your best to get my attention. Because no matter what you do not do, I find myself truly interested."

"So this is simply to satisfy your ego?" She challenged him. Alexi was no gentleman who played around with words. He was a crown prince who said what he wanted with brutal honesty. So it was best to counter him with his own medicine. "Surely, I cannot be the first woman to turn down your affections."

"Well, there had been others who played uninterested. But they could never win. The moment I turn my attention to another lady they'd come flocking once more. So, it may not be about my ego. I do not think so. If it was, I could've long ago forced myself on you and had my way with your body—" he stopped and realized what he was just about to say. He stared at Em. She was looking grim. "Perhaps, we can continue without talking."

She scoffed but she knew they agreed to put the past behind them. At least now she was getting her much wanted silence.
***

Moments later, Em laid down her final pair of cards with a grin. She won.

"Oh its over already?" Alexi pouted and threw his remaining cards. "I guess I should taken you seriously."

"Don't be silly. There was no way you could've manipulated the game, we randy pulled them."

"If you put it that way..." he then began piling the cards again. "Have you thought of anything to ask me?"

Em had a hundred questions but she thought of something far from his personal life. She had no use of that as they would part way as soon she reached the city. "Can you tell me what Habsburg is like?"

Alexi lifted his brow, "You wish to know what my homeland looks like?"

"The Kingdom that is, I wish to know what its like there."

"Well, it's mainly a huge chunk of island. The ports are mostly rocky and we have very few nice beaches to swim on. There were fresh bodies of water inland that served as the source of drinking, bathing and for everything else." He bent down and riffled through the cards making sure he got all them facing down. "It is smaller than most kingdoms but it has its own beauty, I guess."

"It sounds like a wonderful place. And do you get as much tourist as the West?"

Alexi was quite, he looked like he was measuring his words before responding. "If you meant visitors from other kingdoms coming in for the season or some exclusive ball and whatnot, we do not have those. The locals keep to themselves and its mostly the merchants who would only dare venture that far. It is not forbidden to visit but let us just say, Habsburg is not a place people usually take a stroll."

"Is that why you believed I may be from Habsburg?"

"That is only one of the reasons." He said as he sat back, cards distributed evenly on both sides.

"And what are the other reasons? And do not say that you simply have taken interest on me."

"You may ask more if you win again."

"What?" Then she looked down. "How long do we have to do this?"

Alexi shrugged, "I'd love to talk about myself but since you refuse to tell me more about you then I shall withold some information as well."