Chapter 8: Spite

It was the next morning in Chiba Mura and Y/N's night was not pleasant. Well, his sleep was not pleasant.

He had many questions going through his head. Why did he always feel that way around her? His heart would beat faster every time she blushed at him, the small smile he would witness from her was something he liked as it brought many memories of the bright smiles she would give him after he gave a present to her. Just a single present was enough to make her smile, whether it was small or a large one.

Setsuna and Itsuki noticed how his well being is. Y/N had bag under his eyes. When they all met for lunch soon after they woke up, they were the only two who noticed them. Not only that, he moved a lot slower than usual and would almost fall asleep every now and then. It was concerning, but didn't want to cause too much of a scene.

Soon, Hiratsuka comes up to the group and puts a booklet on the table.

Hiratsuka: Okay, here's the schedule for today. We're doing a test of courage followed by a bonfire. The kids'll be in free time during the day. You guys get everything ready in the meantime.

Hachiman: (quietly) A bonfire, huh?

Yui: Like the thing where you dance in a circle?

Komachi: Oh, like, the "Ventura, Ventura?"

Yukino: I think you mean the "Oklahoma Mixer." At least you got the article right.

Hachiman: Not much of a difference. Anyone who'd dance with me's got to be an alien.

Saika: Hachiman, that's mean.

Hachiman: (pokes at food) No. I've got my reasons.

Flashback, Hikigaya's Memories

Hachiman: We had a bonfire back in elementary school.

The scene changes to Hikigaya extending his hand to a girl in front of a bonfire. The girl had a look of disgust and puts on a fake smile, reeling her hand back.

Girl: We don't need to hold hands, do we?

Hachiman and the girl ended up doing the Oklahoma Mixer without holding hands.

Hachiman: All the girls after that said the same. So I ended up doing the "Air Oklahoma Mixer."

Flashback End

Hiratsuka: Hikigaya, your eyes are rotting. Well, I guess that'll come in handy when you play a ghost.

Hachiman: (continues to poke at food) So we're in charge of scaring for the test of courage?

Hiratsuka: They said they've got monster costumes. Split up and get everything ready.

Everyone: Okay!

The scene then changes to a montage of what everyone was doing. Tobe was cutting firewood and it is brought over to Hikigaya by Saika and Hayato. Y/N was helping out Hachiman in building the bonfire.

Hachiman: Stacking up wood quietly...just like playing Jenga.

Y/N: I guess.

Hayato: Eh? You can play Jenga alone?

Hachiman: (thoughts) What? It wasn't single-player?

Timeskip

Y/N and Hachiman had finished stacking up all the logs for the bonfire. The two wipe their sweat away as they had finished and Y/N was finally relieved of having to go to sleep.

Hachiman: Done. See? Jenga's fun because you build it all yourself. Am I right, or what?

Y/N: (clears throat) No one else is here aside us two.