Chapter 15: Fire

Waking up in the morning the next day was hard, I had a splitting headache and a throbbing pain in my ankle. But the day seemed ready to welcome me into it's cold embrace.

I looked over my room, the window to my right was opened, and the lovely red drapes billowed quietly in the soft wind outside. Looking over to the nightstand on my left, I noticed a crutch that I could use to hobble around the Homestead.

Instead of getting up right away, I tried to fall back asleep and get at least a little more rest, but yelling from outside immediately disturbed that...

"You did what Dorian?!"  Jacob's loud and surprised voice met my ears, worsening the already horrible headache. Groaning, I stood up and grabbed the crutch and hobbled over to the window, one of my pillows in hand.

"Why don't you shut up and calm down?! Can't a girl get some sleep around here?!" I yelled down to the assassins gathered below, also tossing my pillow down for good measure, it hit Jacob in the head, causing him to gasp slightly and look up at me.

My eyes widened slightly as I dashed back into my room after slamming the window closed, I heard Jacob's continued yelling growing closer to me as he climbed the walls of the Homestead, I opened the door and slammed it shut. Yet I remained in my room, I quickly and quietly dashed into my wardrobe and hid in there, regulating my breathing to remain as silent as I could.

Moments later I heard a yell of pain, several for that matter. But I paid no mind, I was solely focused on hiding away in my room.

Footsteps on the walls met my ears again after several moments of silence. I shrank back further into the wardrobe as someone opened the window quietly, and the fresh scent of blood met my senses.

I shivered slightly in fear, something was definitely not right here. I pressed my back up farther into the closet end. Terror gripped at my heart with an iron fist, its loud pounding sounded like a scream to my ears.

Heavy footsteps dropped into the room, steel toed boots echoed quietly in the tense atmosphere. I carefully and quietly moved a large cloak in front of me and hid behind it just as the door of the wardrobe was torn off its hinges with a bone-crunching screech. Who ever yanked the door off clearly chucked it off to the side as the sound of wood falling to the wooden floor met my ears.

I held my breath as I tried pushing back farther into the wardrobe end, trying to meld into it. After what felt like eons, the heavy footsteps pulled away from the wardrobe and to the window, "She's not here Kenway. You sure you thought of the right room?" A heavy Italian accent met my ears. I was easily able to recognize it as Cesare.

"Well get down here then you blundering buffoon and help me move the assassins some place else so I when they do wake up they don't know where they are!" Haytham's annoyed voice called up to the second floor.

Cesare mumbled something in a mocking tone before slowly clambering out of the room via the window once more.

I stayed in the closet for about five more minutes before deciding to slowly remove my sweaty self from the hot wardrobe. My bare feet met the cold wood floor, sending a pleasant shock of cold throughout my heated body. I looked around my room slowly, taking in the new mess before me. Everything was in disarray. Sighing softly to myself I quickly pulled on a hand-me-down cloak and headed over to the window, cautiously peering out to the grounds below.

Templars were scattered everywhere, and many of them were dragging off assassins into the forest away from the homestead.

Shivering slightly to myself I turned and quietly dashed into the halls and snuck down to the hidden area of the house. I stumbled down there on my wounded ankle and was caught in the gentle embrace of Evie Frye. She looked down at me with a worried smile before setting me on my feet and leading me along to the darker portion of the room where a few assassins now resided, cloaked in the shadows to hide from their feared enemy who loomed outside, ominous as a dark storm cloud. Even a few rooks had managed to stash themselves away down here and avoided detection.