Chapter 23: From Two to One

(Brief author's note before we start: I will be editing the old chapters slowly, and also making the reader non-binary but without the label, so males/females are able to enjoy the story as they all please...)

An hour went by quickly as the other assassins gathered as quickly as feasibly possible. Ezio starred as the figurehead of it all, with several begrudging glares from only a few of the assassins. (Y/N) made themself busy organizing what they could behind the scenes, and though they hated to admit it, Ezio was a good leader. They imagined that he got it from his father, or maybe his mother. It was hard to say, they were, or are, great people.

(Y/N) looked around the assassins, wondering to themself about them all. The circumstances were strange sure, but, it had fallen onto them to take care of them as they had entered this world. But, they hadn't done a wonderful job at it. They'd been hidden, and, only just recently did they throw themselves out there. Trains and such are easy to understand, horseless carriages running on the finest technology. The cars were the same. Most of the boys out there knew something about projectile weapons, guns or bows. Evie and Alexander, Ezio's parents, and a few others had an understanding that it was going to be different, but only people like Lucy, Shawn, Rebecca, Desmond, and his father knew the atrocities of today's world. (Y/N) sighed to themself, turning and heading to their room. They had hardly learned anything, and every so often their leg would start aching again from the break. Leonardo had explained the first break of a bone one experiences is likely going to be quite damaging, not just for the body. They glanced around their section of the rooftop and grabbed a few things, a photo of (BFF/N) and (Pet's Name).

(Y/N) sighed again, holding that photo in their hand tightly, looking at it closely. (BFF/N) had died a few years ago, a drunk driver. When they became an assassin, they knew it would be hard to take care of them. So, they handed the pet over to any relatives willing and close by. They pocketed the photo, slipping on a decently clean hoodie. Glancing around again, they grabbed a small dagger, gently rubbing the engraving on the wooden hilt of it. They remembered where they got it, smiling softly to themself as the scene played out in their mind.

1st POV

I walked around the homestead slowly, a gentle hand placed on the wall as I shifted one foot in front of the other. The other was placed on my head, attempting to shove the blasted migraine back to the depths of hell from whence it came.

I looked around, wanting to find one of the guys. Wanting them to help me find something to put me to some use. One step, then another. One step, and another. I stumbled, barely catching myself. After leaving my home it made me realize many of the dangers I was about to face having placed myself into this strange situation.

Sighing, I sat down on the cold wood floor. Lightly tapping my finger on the ground, a random tune escaping from me in the form of a hum. I closed my eyes, allowing the pain to ease.

I don't know how long I sat there for, but, soon enough I felt someone sit down beside me, their warmth comforting. I leaned into them, resting my head on their shoulders tiredly. They gently picked me up and placed me on their lap, massaging my head in silence, to help ease the tension from the migraine.

We sat together for a few minutes before I opened my eyes and looked up, "Oh, Ratonhnhaké:ton," I smiled softly, "Thank you for that."

He merely nodded in response, "Of course. The signs of a head pain was evident in the faces you were making." he paused a moment before continuing to speak, "What are you doing here?"

"I was looking around for one of you guys... I wanted to not be useless, I mean, you say I can be an assassin. But, I know nothing. I can hardly fight, I can't take a leap of faith, I just... what use am I to you guys?"