Chapter 3: Ear to Ear

Last chapter...

"See? Now stop jumping to conclusions... This is the literal first time that this has happened. Stop being so slouchy... no one is a main character here. Except for maybe Samwise... so, let's just go inside and I'll make you some food while you cuddle your pets on the couch?"

"I... yeah... thank you Jade, that uh... sounds nice..." (Y/N) sighed, allowing the conversation to drift into silence. Together, they stood and walked into the house. (Y/N) settled down on the couch, still hugging Samwise. The new cat was distant, wary. She still seemed on edge after the... incident.

There's nothing to it... this isn't some weird movie or video game, this stuff doesn't happen in real life unless it's just some weirdo like Jade said... right?

Now...

It had been a few days since the... incident. And (Y/N) hadn't gotten better. After the break-in, the police were called to inspect the premises. Unfortunately, no evidence was found on the identity of the stranger who appeared and left just as strangely as he had come.

They took the next couple weeks off, having been rather rattled by the incident. Their cat was finally named during that time. Nyx. Nyx hadn't settled down much other. Instead, over the following days, Nyx grew even more distant. The cat spent all of her time hiding up on top of the cabinets, watching the world roll past her from her mighty perch. (She had given (Y/N) quite the scare a number of times throughout those days, having heard and seen nothing in the pitch dark before being jump-scared by the cat of the eternal abyss.)

(Y/N) had taken to playing other games and watching old childhood shows during their time off, avoiding Assassins Creed like the plague. Most everything had been shoved back into boxes, the figure in the kitchen was gone though, and (Y/N) couldn't figure out what happened to it. But, the only thing that remained up was a poster of Ezio. (Y/N) had decided to leave him, having found him to be one of their personal favourites.

The games they played varied from Skylanders, to some of the old Ratchet and Clank games. Including an odd indie game from several years ago, Costume Quest. The games were mindless and fun, but were just what they needed to get back into the swing of things.

At the moment, (Y/N) was in their office room, playing on their old PS3, reliving their favourite memories from their childhood of playing Transformers: War for Cybertron.

The game was six levels long, not that complicated. And after a few hours of playing, they were already on the final boss phase of the game, and struggling once again to get past it.

Suddenly, their phone went off. They glanced over, expecting to see the number of the detective pop up on their phone. Instead, they noticed the local gamestop was calling them. Shrugging to themself, they paused the game, a wonderful frame of Trypticon destroying things in the background.

"Hello? Hello Hello? Uh hi, is this (Y/N)?"

"Yeah, that's me. What can I do for you?"

"Ah, right, so we finally received a copy of Batman Arkham Asylum. The Game of the Year edition, ps3 to. It's in mint condition, and your name popped up on the feed for notifications if any were to come in."

"Oh wait, really?" (Y/N) had been wanting to get the game for awhile. They played it growing up, but the disc sadly was broken in the move from their parents house.

"Yeah, we can hold it for you if you still want it?"

"Heck yeah I want it, I'll be there in 40 minutes!"

Before (Y/N) could get a response, they hung up the phone and hurried out the office and down the stairs. They grabbed their keys and wallet off the counter, as well as the leash for Sam's collar. "Sam Sam, lets go!" (Y/N) called out to their dog, watching as the slobbering and drooling creature charged into the room excitedly, hopping up and down as the leash was secured to the hook on the collar.