Prologue

Beep

Beep

Beep

The item scanner rang out clearly with every grocery item scanned into the system. (Y/N) sighed in defeat, refraining from yawning. They continued to scan items, glancing at the clock every so often.

But what should I even do? Maybe go on a walk with (P/N),... gods know the both of us need it.

(P/N) was (Y/N)'s pet, a loveable golden lab who had grown quite chonky from the leftover pizza slices his owner gave him. (Y/N) stood around all day at a cash register for some grocery store they neglected to remember the name of. They were

Sighing to themself they scanned the last item of the last customer of the day. (Y/N) looked up at the customer, opening their mouth and asking the question that bored them beyond anything, "Will that be cash, credit, or debit ma'am? Or would you like to use food stamps?" they kept their voice neutral.

"Debit of course, what do you take me for? Some grubby little beggar without a name?" The woman spoke in a shrill English voice, she wore pink from head to toe. Her hair blonde and tucked back in a bun that spoke of a woman older than she appeared.

(Y/N) deadpanned, I better get paid for this overtime. They thought to themself, "No ma'am, it's just something I am required to say, I am sorry for offending you." Having used food stamps for some time before having a decently stable job, this offended them.

"Stop calling me ma'am! How old do you think I am?!" the woman angrily spoke again.

"It is a term of honor for a stranger ma'am, nothing more."

"Answer the question."

(Y/N) stared at them, sighing before giving in just to keep the conversation moving along, "No more than 20, ma'am."

This seemed to brighten the woman's mood greatly, allowing her to finally hand over her credit card. (Y/N) swiped the card in the reader. It made an angry ding sound and flashed red.

(Y/N) looked back up at her, already deciding that they did not like this lady. "Well ma'am, do you have any other way you would like to pay for all this? Your card was declined five times."

(Y/N) stood there and listened to the woman go on a length rant for nearly ten minutes.

Finally, the other cashiers had enough and called one of the store managers. The manager walked over with a cheerful gait. He was a large man, proper muscles, chiseled features, (Y/N)'s co-workers swooned over him constantly, even though he was already married.

The manager spoke with the woman. Her real husband was called after nearly half an hour of the woman screaming way past closing at (Y/N) and the manager. When her husband arrived, it was discovered that she was being cut off on her larger than life spending. All her accounts tied to his name were frozen.

Embarrassed, the husband paid both the manager and (Y/N) a large sum of money to NOT go on social media and post about the crazy situation.

All in all, (Y/N) ended up being 2 hours overtime and 1000$ richer. The man had claimed it was pocket money.

Wonder who he works for.. (Y/N) thought as they walked away from the store, pulling their apron over their head and fully off, placing it in a bag for the moment. They pocketed the money and looked around.

Shrugging to themself they pulled out their phone and opened up Discord, scrolling till they found their friend Ludo.

"Hey Ludo! You free to call rq?" they texted, waiting for a response from them. It didn't take long for a ping to reach them.