44: The Last Turbulence

Yemisi

I, Barrister Peret, and Karen are now a team, and our mission is to drag Gaius' father into the mud, and it's not only because we need to get Gaius' mother out of prison but to protect myself and my career most importantly.

I don't want a corrupt person like him to destroy me in every way possible, so I had to do something fast. It is no doubt that Chief Giakas is already on the move. The outrage he must be feeling from knowing that his son is in prison is enough proof.

Right now, the three of us are in the dining room of my house thinking of what to do. I'm tired and not in the mood to have this meeting anywhere else. Christopher left the house with Gifty and Zion early in the morning, so I get to have some peace, even if it's for a limited time.

Although I can imagine the outing to be a chaotic one because I'm sure Christopher will try to make Gifty and Zion reconcile, but there's something more critical for me to stress about right now, so I take my mind off that.

"So what are we going to do now for real? How are we going to prove that Chief Giakas committed all these crimes?" I ask, but I don't think afterward. Instead, I fix my eyes on Barrister Peret as I expect him to answer my question.

"Besides, if we find proof that Chief Giakas is a monster, do you think we can apprehend him in the Nigerian court when he committed most of his crimes in Australia? Traveling to Australia to study the law that binds Australia so that we can have a day is undoubtedly a waste of time. Yemisi barely finished her law school program in Germany. We have to do something effective as soon as possible, " Karen added. She is also looking at Barrister Peret.

"No. He can be apprehended anywhere, " I explain. "Especially since the crime we are trying to apprehend him of is universally a capital offense. Murder is a vice that is punishable by death or life imprisonment, and Gaius told me on the phone call that his father murdered someone when he committed arson. From the way he narrated it, it didn't seem like he killed that person by accident, so it can't be manslaughter. Our real problem is, is Chief Giakas wanted for his crimes by the state authority in Australia? He has a wide range of connections everywhere, and he would have been able to cover up for every time.

The police force wanted Geoffrey both in Germany and Nigeria, which is why he could have been apprehended anywhere. I just studied law temporarily in Germany just in case I had to adjudicate upon the matter in the German court of law."

"I don't think it matters whether the Australian Authorities want him or not, " Barrister Peret spoke. "If we can bring proof, then he can be arrested anywhere. I'm sure people and even the Australian police force themselves know that Chief Giakas is evil. There's no way they won't know. He's just made them unable to turn their backs against him, but no worries. We can still wreck him here."

"Hm. Okay, so, I believe you should know how right?" I conclude.

"I have a tape in my office that Barrister Peret ordered me to dismantle. It was a recording of him discussing the protection of Gaius in Australia after knowing that his son was involved in a rape incident. Although I'm yet to dismantle the tape, I don't think it can be useful since we've been able to apprehend Gaius." He said.

"Umm...I can try something, " a voice said.

The three of us turned towards Gifty, who'd appeared in this dining room with her phone in hand. She seemed to be scared.

"What are you doing here? I thought you went out with your dad?" I ask.

"No, I didn't. I was listening to your conversation a few minutes ago when I realized that I have an idea of how I can help."

There is silence for a good moment between the three of us. We are all digesting what she'd just said. Her tone. Her looks. Did she mean it? Could she help in a situation as serious as this?

"And why do you want to help? To get on Gaius'  mum's side so you can be with Gaius again or what—ouch. Am I not telling the truth?" I snap at Karen, who has just pinched my forearm from underneath the table.

"She doesn't even know about Gaius's mom. Except for the fact we just mentioned it a few minutes ago, " Karen answered.

"And how can we be so sure?"

"Because there's no way she would have come up with a means of helping us just now as she overhead our conversation."

"Why is she bringing it up now after we mentioned his mother? I'm sure she has known long before today that I've been trying to defeat Gaius's father."

"You are being very obstinate, Yemisi, " Karen persists. I sigh.

How did I get so worked up, and why am I fuming with this much anger? Am I still this hurt? By everything? Or from the complications arising from this matter? Is this the bottled anger I've felt towards my daughter since I came back to Nigeria?

"Gaius has never mentioned anything about his mother to me before, " Gifty speaks after I stopped firing her with questions. She is picking the non-existent dirt in her fingernails nervously. "I just wanted to help so Gaius's father wouldn't do something to hurt you. Yes, I've always known that there's a tendency for a war to happen between you and Gaius's father, but I thought you figured out what tactic to use and didn't need any help until now. I already made things tough for you, so I want to help because I care for you."

"Lies. Just say you want closure, " I retort even after I thought I was already calm. "I don't think—"

"Give us what you've got, " Karen interrupts me. That ticks me off, but I don't say anything because there wouldn't be a point in doing so.

"I know a guy in Australia. His name is Bart, and I think he can help us with bringing Chief Giakas down. Bart was Gaius's friend, and I got acquainted with him when I was in Australia for our family trip. Gaius used to hang out with him a lot, and it was mostly because Gaius didn't like sleeping at home, and he hated his father. Bart seemed to know a lot about Chief Giakas even more than Gaius knew because I couldn't explain the level of hatred he had for Gaius's father.

So, Gaius and Bart both planned to get Gaius to come to Nigeria, and I was the perfect reason. Bart didn't accompany Gaius, so I believe he's still in Australia."

"Do you have this number?" Karen asked.

"Yes, I do. I always asked him for Gaius's whereabouts whenever I couldn't reach him."

"And are you sure of what you've said? You think he can help with the arson case?" Barrister Peret adds.

"Bart was a lot older than Gaius, and he knew many secrets, so yes, I'm sure, " Gifty nods.

I squirm because I'm finding it hard to believe that Gifty might indeed be of great help. It makes it hard for me to remain angry.