10: The Old Woman.

Yemisi
Bradenburg, Germany

Within the lapse of a week since I'd arrived, I was able to enroll at a Law School for the license to practice law and carry out investigations within the jurisdiction of the German Law.

More importantly, I met a witty lady named Myron. Her personality was fascinating, and I loved how our perceptions and attitude towards life were similar.

Myron was accommodating. I told her about my reason for enrolling in a foreign law school after years of professional legal practice, and I told her about the lady who lived in the remote area I was to investigate.

Surprisingly, she was familiar with the neighborhood I was talking about even when I had never caught a glimpse of what it looked like yet.

"I doubt if you vill still be needing se map sat Barrister Peniret gaffe you or vat did you say his name vas again?" she asked in her German accent.

“Peret,” I corrected her, trying hard to suppress my laughter.

"Yes. I don't sink you vill be needing se map he gaffe you. I'm familiar vith Bradenburg. It's se place vere se most vicious vices occur. I've had to visit se place countless times to carry out investigations."

"Wow."

She volunteered to drive me there whenever I was ready, and today was the day.

Peering out of the window of my hotel room for the umpteenth time as I awaited her arrival, I'd contemplated calling Barrister Peret to inform him of the progress I was making towards the investigation.

Then I thought against it, feeling like there was no need since the case was somewhat interconnected to my sister's case, but I dismissed that disrespectful thought, deciding that it would only be reasonable to make a call. Whether the task was eventually helpful to me or not, it was assigned to me by someone. Hence, I owe it to the person to give an update.

I gave him a call, and I was glad I did because I learned through the conversation that the old lady I was going to interrogate was suffering from partial memory loss, so I had to know how to address her while questioning her.

I looked through the window again and saw Myron waiting outside for me in her car. Quickly, I rushed out of my hotel room to meet her.

"All set?" Myron smiled as soon as she saw me.

"Sure. I have a question to ask, though."

"Okay, vat's sat?"

"Are you going to wait for me till I've accomplished my mission at Bradenburg, or you are just dropping me off?"

"Of course, I'm only dropping you off."

"Are you for real?" I burst out, laughing. "You don't even want to know what's going to happen to me on my way back. Didn't you say that the area was dangerous?"

"Don't tell me you're scared. Vy fret? Besides, Bradenburg is not a street full of dilapidated or demolished tall buildings vit dark alleyvays, creepy sounds, or foul odors. It's just a sparsely populated place because of se high crime rate, but you vill do just fine. It von't be hartt to fintt a taxi."

"O...kay."

***

Indeed, Bradenburg was ninety percent dry land with houses that had low currents of electricity scattered sparsely around, and it had taken approximately five hours to get there.  If I hadn't spoken with the old lady on the phone to let her know that I would visit her, it would have been difficult to locate her.