36: Further Exposures

Gifty
Lagos, Nigeria

I already realized how selfish I was when Mrs. Karen made mention of the word, 'betrayed'. It struck a chord in me that I should have been sensitive to from inception. I hated my actions so bad that when she gave me her mobile phone to dial my mother's number, I didn't see it as her putting me in a terrible situation. I saw it as her being merciful.

Ordinarily, I would have been sick enough to think she was being mean to me and that she was also not on my side like everyone else and I hated that I ever reasoned like that. That side of me that had now been open to reality helped me see things for what they truly were.

Why did anyone have to be on my side when I already was on the path to self-destruction? What was promising about my ways and everything affiliated to me? It was insanely selfish of me to have wanted anyone to hop on my bandwagon at all and now that side of me that helped me see things for what they were didn't only make me detest my repulsive actions.

It made me hate my nature; my person and I'd solely wired myself to be an embodiment of selfishness yet kept blaming it on other people. I was disgusted by myself and everything happening only exposed me further to the urgent need for thorough self-evaluation, reorientation, and reconstruction.

Gaius came to my house a few days after my birthday. Even though I had already made the call to confess what I knew to my mother a day after my birthday, I still didn't feel any better especially after knowing why he came.

It was a surprise for me when I was just about heading out of the house with my violin bag strapped to my shoulder then I saw him talking to Mrs. Karen in an extremely serious tone by the balcony outside the window. My heart pounded fiercely beneath my chest. I was very curious.

He had already confessed to Mrs. Karen so what else could they be discussing that made her want to listen to him at all? She was supposed to be very furious with him. I peeped through the window to eavesdrop on their conversation.

"My dad and Barrister Peret are plotting to put Barrister Yemisi in trouble. They are aware that I reported me to you so they want to prevent the truth from getting to Barrister Yemisi because they know that would be the ultimate doom."

"The truth is going to get her anyway. I've already mandated Gifty to tell the truth to her mother, " Mrs. Karen seemed unfazed telling from how she had responded.

"That's not my point ma'am, " worry displayed itself louder on his face. "Even if the truth gets or has already gotten to her, it doesn't change the fact that she might be in trouble. Barrister Peret knows that Barrister Yemisi was having one of her men tail his movements because she was suspicious as to why he wasn't responding to her calls and texts since he promised to help you expose the guy who showed up at the prison yard. But ever since he discovered that the guy was me, he switched sides since he works with my Dad and is a lot closer to him.

"So to protect me, he wanted to accuse Barrister Yemisi of stalking him and wants to have the law punish her for it. He plans on using his sick wife as an excuse for why he hasn't been responding to her calls and texts. The fact that Barrister Yemisi also knows about his ill wife puts her more on the defenseless side because it will be harder for her to prove her reason for having someone monitor him.

"He also wants to lie against Gifty and accuse her of falsely tagging me as a rapist and telling you about it when it was I who did so. This might sound like an asinine thing to do since it would be hard to fathom why Gifty would want to possibly tell such a 'lie' against me but it's scary that it is reasonably achievable because he said this would be an easy scenario to establish if you didn't record my confession. That way, they would be able to do what they want. Just to protect me. I don't want that."