38: Twice as Brave

Christopher
Bonn, Germany

It kills me deeply on the inside to learn that things have gone disastrous at home. The news of my daughter's boyfriend being one of the culprits of my sister-in-law makes me feel very terrible and guilty? Guilty.

It wasn't just the regular kind of 'terrible' that came from a place of pity and indecisiveness as to what to do to help the situation and watchful of my daughter's affairs. I wasn't about to start blaming myself for what had happened but I knew that the time I had given Gifty a phone call and she spoke about having a problem that she could not share, it was affiliated to her boyfriend but I had chosen not to be a nosy stepfather on that day.

Now, I wished I probed. Perhaps something might have been done differently.

I just pray Yemisi pulls through it all. Although I know she's a strong woman, there's only so much that she can take and I want the best for her. The least I can do on my part to subside the turbulence is to put to a total end, everything related to the past betrothal between me and Irene.

The past week has been filled with many fruitful activities especially with my informant back by my side and safe. Within the hours that I'd sent him to dig up some information and to confirm the state of Irene's father just before he got kidnapped, I'd gotten to learn that Irene truly killed both her parents. Little wonder why she tried to keep my informant away from him and stuff him inside a dusty silo full of fish feed to suffocate.

My informant had kept in touch with someone in Irene's parent's neighborhood, a prospective witness who testified to the fact that he'd seen Irene visit her parents once on the afternoon that her mother died, he happened to have a tape recorder in hand that recorded Irene's words but when he heard her footsteps approaching, he ran as fast as he could for the love of his dear life.

It would have been difficult for my informant to find the man if he hadn't already interrogated him before. Upon hearing all of that information, I thought of getting a police officer ready to arrest Irene and Albert came to my mind but the fact that he's not a German police officer and might not have the right to carry out an arrest in Germany made me dismiss the idea.

I visited the police station at Bonn where I was arrested and it was harder than I'd thought to have them accept my request for back-up even after offering money (which wasn't even supposed to be). They almost looked very afraid of me approaching them and it was all so sketchy to me that I had to look for a police station elsewhere that was eager to come to my aid as they should. Surprisingly, it turned out to be that Irene was a criminal they had been looking for.

Now, I have to do what I've yearned to do for the longest time and my marriage with Yemisi has helped me realize just how badly I needed to do it. I have to call my mother to show her that I was twice as brave and she was never supposed to have any say whatsoever regarding the union between me and Yemisi and it's liberating that I get to do this.

"If you have called to ask me to stop the engagement between you and Irene—"

"No, there would no longer be a need for that, " I smiled with a joy that feels satisfactory within my soul that I get to interrupt my mother like this. "Because it has already been stopped. The woman you forcefully want me to marry murdered both of her parents just because she doesn't want to follow the terms of the contract knowing full well that I have all it takes to make a refund for the damaged building."

I heard a small gasp from her end and I nodded in an 'I thought as much' manner. Not like she was going to see it but it felt pleasant having to nod like that.

"I figured you'd be surprised of course. That's what you signed me up for just because you don't like Yemisi and my step-children. You don't like the fact that she doesn't want to bear 'my children' and you don't care that I'm happy regardless of what it is so long as I have her to hold, to cherish, and to love but you tried hard to take her away from me and didn't mind joining forces with the devil to make me unhappy. Asides from the fact that I successfully surrendered myself to be your puppet, I can't believe that you were out to destroy me."