12: The Hot Seat

Gaius
Lagos, Nigeria

"Good day, ma'am. Is Barrister Peret in his office?" I ask the secretary as soon as I get to the first floor of Barrister Peret's law firm.

"Yes, he is, " she answers, scrutinizing me with her eyes as though I was bubblegum beneath her shoe. "Do you have an appointment with him? And what's your name?"

"My name is Gaius Giakas. He's the one who asked to see me today, " I answer with a curt smile on my lips in return for her criticizing eyes. She's the last person I have to worry about today.

I don't know why she's looking at me like that, but I could not care less.

Hmm. What if she's suspicious of you? You are a bloody criminal!

"Alright, follow me."

This time I'm thankful to hear her speak because it helps to shut out my inner voice.

Shortly after she informs her boss about my presence, I am allowed into Barrister Peret's office.

As I face the tall, dark figure of the man who has asked to see me today, I give a small bow, showing my profound respect for him. He manages a smile on his cold, arctic face and motions for me to have a seat with a slight stretch of his arm.

The temperature in the office feels a tad bit too stuffy. Or perhaps, it's just me. I bit my lip anxiously. Despite my familiarity with this man, I am never comfortable around him.

"Y-you asked to see me today, sir. Is there a problem?" I fiddle with my fingernails and firmly cross my legs at my ankle region.

"Yes, Gaius. There is a serious problem," The lawyer clasps his hands together and brings them near his head.

Slowly, he shakes his head in an aggrieved manner and lets out an exasperated, fed-up sigh. My heart beats faster, and I can tell from his body movements that there's serious trouble. And it most likely has a great lot to do with me.

He raises his head and looks at me right on. The expression on his face is hard to decipher, so I try to remain calm as I console myself with the delusion that he's not mad at me. Nothing prepares me for the angry words that come out of his lips a few seconds later.

"Are you crazy? Tell me! Are you crazy?"

"N-no sir, I'm not."

"Then why can't you see that there is a bright future ahead of you and a lot for you to achieve in life? Do you really want to spend your entire life in prison?"

"Oh..." When I realize this is why he's called for me, my anxiety dissipates, and I muster the courage to look him right back.

"What are you trying to say right now, sir?" I dare to question his authority.

"What am I trying to say?" He sounded like my words were a pain to his ears. "Gaius, are you really asking me that? I saw a video of you at the central prison in Lagos, visiting one of your accomplices. He was questioned, and he mentioned that you told him of your plans to turn yourself in very soon.

Luckily enough, he wasn't able to figure out that you were the one who came around since he has only one functioning eye. Still, do you know the amount of danger you are currently in? Do you know that it is fourteen years imprisonment if you get caught and are charged to court? Are you crazy?"

I'm confused as to how to react to Barrister Peret because I'm not sure about the things I'm currently feeling. However, there's this hopelessness that is buried deep somewhere in my heart. It's a despair that I feel as I think of how close-minded and adamant many people are, especially older adults.