29: Ransacking the fish farm

Yemisi
Bonn, Germany

"I know of someone from the countryside with a cockney accent. Her name is Miss. Rico. She's very smart and I think she can help a great deal with our investigation. If I can have her by my side then that would be perfect provided you're fine with it."

After the exhausting chase on the streets and the change in my mood due to the debilitating text message I received, Myron had started to think of ways to make my burden a lot less heavy to bear and she was doing well in helping me to manage the situation. I didn't even have to tell her about what happened with Christopher and me. All she knew was that I had to be by his side.

"So long as I wouldn't have to regret trusting my sister's case into the hands of someone else to handle. It's only you and my friend, Karen that I can rely on to an extent. Barrister Peret, the nincompoop who trusted me with this assignment has been ditching me for so many days now. I don't want any situation or occurrence that would stress me further."

"I believe you will be satisfied with Miss. Rico. If I can travel to the village between now and tomorrow, I should be able to get her to meet with you."

I heaved a small sigh of relief. Immediately after our discussion, I decided to go see him at his office and when I did, I saw him rushing out of the main entrance with his suit draped over his arm. The alacrity to know why he was in such a hurry increased telling from the way my head started to throb.

And it throbbed for a very negative reason.

Where was he rushing to at this very time of the evening? I wanted to think and feel as many things as I felt entitled and licensed to process in my mind but when I realized how troubled my husband looked, I knew I couldn't be selfish with my thoughts and emotions no matter how appealing it was. It was a luxury I could not afford.

It would be a betrayal on my part to think evil of the man who had always meant well for me and my children.

"Where are you going?" I asked him calmly. He stopped in his track just before bumping into me. The worry lines on his face vanished surprisingly enough but the new features on his face were the ones that had been softened by guilt and more guilt.

I stood where I was, calm but gravely devastated. We were a lethal combination, merged souls that had contained words and thoughts unsaid.

"Um..." a corner of his lips twitched. He was trying to process my reason for being here at this hour and he was preparing to hate himself after hearing the insults and accusations I had to hurl at him.

That made me feel so bad. I moved a little closer to him and placed both of my hands on his shoulders, tapping them with all the compassion I could provide. Vulnerability shimmered in his hazel eyes. It made my heart flutter watching him try to get himself together. His lips quivered some more. His hand clamped into a fist even. He had nothing to say and when he realized that, he gave up.

Just like a little boy who had been caught trying to tell a lie. Christopher was really like a little boy most times telling from the pureness of his soul but that was the type of man I had fallen in love with.

Right there and then as the cars sped by on the roads with the sunset peeking over the tall buildings, it seemingly felt like it was just the two of us and nothing else. Christopher was attempting to stay true to his feelings and It was the most beautiful thing. How could I ever be mean to this man? He deserved all the love.

"I'm not going to blame you or ask if you're headed to Irene's. Truthfully, I almost thought evil about you and I'm sorry about that. Remember I said it was us against the world? I won't say anything to hurt you anymore after making that promise to you."