37: Going Back.

Yemisi

I hated this. I hated everything so much. Just when I thought was already making notable steps towards moving forward, something like this occurs and pulls me back - literally and figuratively. Now I'm in Myron's apartment again, asking for a favor that makes me feel like nothing but a burden. Miss Rico's facial expressions are not helping either.

"What's the matter, Yemisi? The way you called me on the phone made my heart skip so badly," Myron half sat on the chair. She was genuinely concerned. Not disturbed by the fact that I had called her at such an odd hour.

"I have to leave Germany as soon as possible, " I confessed uncomfortably.

"Why?!" the two of them exclaimed simultaneously with a facial expression so uncanny, that they nearly looked alike in my eyes.

I was used to Myron understanding the urgency of my situation even without knowing the full story but this time, I knew I had to talk if I didn't want to feel like I was taking advantage of her constant availability. "It's...my daughter. She called me yesterday to tell me that her boyfriend was among the six guys."

"W-what? How's that even possible? What the hell?"

"I'm still in shock too. I didn't even know she had a man in the first place and he was the guy I told you about that promised to turn himself in at the prison yard. A certain lawyer was supposed to help me and Karen out with exposing the guy but he started acting up, ignoring my calls and texts so I figured it would be best if I just went back home to face the fire myself. It looks like something necessary I must do."

"Damn. It sure is. I've got a feelin' dat lawyer is trying ta protect dat guy or something, " Miss Rico thought out loud.

"So...are you trusting us to handle the limping man's case or you're..." Myron's eyes shone in disbelief as a negative thought had appeared in her mind at that moment. "Don't tell me you want to suspend our investigation and relieve us of everything because you won't be involved in it?"

"No..." a tiny surge of relief coursed through me knowing now that Myron wouldn't mind being of great help and I wasn't being an inconvenience to her. "I'm here to trust the rest of the investigation in your hands. I want you and Mrs. Rico to investigate in my absence without needing any instruction from me. Like it's your case. Just do what you deem fit as effective to catch the limping man."

She sighed, a small smile of satisfaction appeared on her face.

"I'm happy you trust us well enough to do a wonderful job and we will. You won't have a cause to worry about us while you're in Nigeria. I just hope things work out for you there. Take care, " Myron took my palm in hers and rubbed it calmly.

"I appreciate you guys so much for being people I can count on. Thank you for understanding my situation, " I said with gratitude but was unable to smile even if I tried.

We embraced each other in a brief group hug and I left the apartment.

***

Christopher wished he accompanied me back to Nigeria but we both agreed that he had to stay till it was confirmed that no ties were binding him and Irene together. He still had a few things to do to ensure that before he joins me.

I was a heavy mess. Mentally and physically. I stuffed my clothes recklessly into my luggage and rushed out of the house with my hair unkempt, my body still covered in pajamas and a brown coat and palm slippers. I had no time to clean up because it was an emergency flight I had secured. I didn't even know the time for the departure. All I knew was I had to be at the airport before the next hour that's if the airplane hasn't departed already.