7: The Departure

Yemisi
Muritala Mohammed Airport, Lagos.

Barrister Peret was not a man in which I could refuse his request. He would have accepted my valid reason if I had given him one. But imagine how I would sound if I told him that I didn't want to travel to Germany because my not-so-brave husband was also there, and I didn't want to see him because he had not been bold enough to communicate with me?

Quite unprofessional, right?

First, the profession was not and should not be affiliated with sentiments. I mean, what was Barrister Peret's business with my personal life, and why should it ever come in the way of a legal task?

Also, what was the guarantee that Christopher and I would cross paths in Germany so soon? The last time I researched geographical coordinates, I learned that Germany had several cities. I didn't know about Christopher's mission in Germany, but I certainly knew mine, and I had better get on with it because it was a bizarre case — to put it mildly.

The day Christopher called Karen's line since mine was out of reach, I made one more significant attempt to bury the hatchet. I dialed his number after thinking of the things I planned to say – to apologize for yelling at him the day before he left, to tell him that I had taken back my words, saying that I wouldn't miss him and instead, I wished I said goodbye before he left.

I was willing to be mellow, but I regained my senses when the call didn't go through. I thought of leaving a text or a voice mail, but I realized that it would make no difference. It was clear that Christopher wasn't ready to talk. If he could remain unresponsive to my calls, what made me think the above options would provide tangible solutions?

Of what gain would it be if all he was going to do was apologize and wear that sad countenance on his face in an attempt to avoid the delicate matters on ground?

I would rather remain logical. Logic was one thing that never let me down. It was always a satisfactory substitute for moments like this when it was tempting to get overwhelmed by emotions.

My assignment was to investigate the case of an old lady who lives in the remotest parts of Bonn. I would have to find out who the culprit was since Barrister Peret made me understand that the case could very much be related to my sisters'. This meant that I had a lot to do — one of the top things being to enroll myself in a German Law school to be familiar with German law — to be authorized and educated enough to exercise my legal power on the case.

And that was going to take me a good number of months or even a year.

Could I do without my husband for a year? Certainly not. But the real question was, Would I be willing to give this case my all, knowing that it would get me closer to helping my little sister attain justice?

Indeed! I was beyond ready!

I knew Christopher and me were going to sort things out. I just didn't know when. Deep down, I hoped it wouldn't take too long. Nevertheless, until the time comes and even after the time has arrived, I would continue to work very hard.

I unzipped my bag, checking briefly to ensure that I'd packed all of the items I needed — The files containing the photos of the old woman and the house in which she lived, a map, my school certificates, and degree scrolls which would help me get into a German Law School, and the cash needed for my hotel accommodation.

Everything was intact.

I zipped my bag then fixed my eyes on Karen and my daughter, Gifty. I nodded at them. Immediately, they got the message I intended to pass across non-verbally, and soon, we were walking towards the check-in department at the airport.