5 - Task 1

The day of the first task soon arrived. Vanessa and I made our way to the arena where the tournament was to be held. Our family stood outside waiting for us.

"You guys take forever to get ready," Oliver scoffed.

"Cry about it," Vanessa shot back.

He frowned. "Don't sass me. You're like 11."

"12 actually."

Ellie linked her arm with mine. "Lets go get seats before the good ones are gone."

We walked away, leaving the rest of the family to deal with Oliver and Nessa's bickering.

We found seats next to Hermione and Ron. I sat down, and took a look at the arena. It was full of jagged rocks, and in the middle of them all sat a golden egg. Just looking at the arena made me nervous. I couldn't possibly imagine what the champions were feeling.

"Move over mudblood!" an all too familiar voice spat.

I turned to see Draco in the row above me, pushing past students. I quickly turned my head so he wouldn't see me.

"Go somewhere else, Malfoy," Hermione said with annoyance in her voice.

"I don't take orders from muggles," he jeered.

"Just ignore him 'mione," said Ron.

"Whatever," she mumbled.

A few moments later, a loud cannon sounded out without warning, which made us all jump. Seconds later, Cedric stepped into the arena. Ellie and I cheered loudly, but suddenly stopped when a huge flame was shot in his direction by an actual dragon.

"Dragons? They have to fight a dragon?" Ellie cried.

The dragon jumped out at Cedric, and he just barely dodged it. A large group of Slytherins sat nearby, cheering. Draco sat right in the middle of them, smirking as the dragon started to chase Cedric.

"Yes dragon!"

"Get the pretty boy!"

They were all shouting, and cackling while everyone else watched silently, obviously stunned by what was going on. I don't think any of us were expecting the tasks to be as extreme as fighting an actual dragon.

Cedric ducked behind a boulder. He was about 20 feet from the egg. The dragon continued to walk around the arena, searching for him.

I sat quietly and held my breath while nerves filled my body. Cedric stepped out from behind the rock. He started to run towards the egg. The dragon began to pursue him again, spitting fire at him, but Cedric swept up the egg just in time before the dragon reached him. Ellie and I jumped up cheering along with the Hufflepuff students. Cedric looked up to the crowd, and waved to Ellie and me. We waved back happily as he left the arena, pumping his fist in the air and holding the egg up for all to see.

Fleur and Krum went next, and they were both able to retrieve their eggs with much ease. Harry was up last. He stepped out of the tunnel, and everyone went silent, except for the Slytherin students sitting above us who were betting on his chance of surviving.

"I reckon he lasts a minute," one said.

Draco snorted a laugh. "A minute!? Cedric and Krum barely survived! What makes you think a cheat like Pottah will go much longer?"

"Shut it Malfoy," I sneered.

"Or what?" he challenged.

"Guys, I hate to stop your argument, but Harry is competing right now," Ellie said which made us both turn our attention to the arena below.