Part 20

Mary went back to her restaurant after talking to Jessica. She tried to be normal and not think about Jimmy. After a few hours, she went home and cooked dinner before Jimmy goes home.

"Honey, I'm home." Jimmy shouted from across the hall.

Mary gave Jimmy a faint "Hi."

Jimmy ignored it and thought that maybe she was just tired. He kissed her in the forehead instead. He hanged his coat, removed his tie and tried to help Mary in the kitchen.

He hugged her from behind, smelling her neck, planting small kisses on it. Mary smiled for a while. She tried not to think about it again. She doesn't want to jeopardize all of it. She didn't want to risk anything, especially not Jimmy.

"What's up, hon?" Jimmy asked after opening two bottles of beer.

"Oh, nothing. I'm just tired." She said.

Jimmy sighed. "Come on, what is it?" He knew something was bothering her, he was afraid to ask but he had to.

She wants to tell him what was bothering her but she don't know how. She closed her eyes for a while to help her think. She was so afraid of what Jimmy will say. "Jimmy, we've been together for a long time now, I don't know, I just......I want something more you know? I hope you know what I'm saying because it's really hard for me to say this." She said and looked into his eyes.

Jimmy gulped and breathed heavily. He knew this was coming. He knew it all along but he didn't know how to handle it. "We're happy? Right? I mean, we don't need to get married and all that shit to be happy. We are already happy, Mary." He said.

Mary's eyes grew bigger. "So....what you're saying is....uh, you're not planning to get married at all?"

"I mean, Not really, uh, you see, er, I.....Yeah. I'm not thinking about it." He stood up and leaned in on the sink with his palms. "It's not a big deal."

"Not a big deal? Jimmy, I love you!!! I really do!! That's why I want to get married to you. I want to make it official. And it's the right thing to do. If you're not ready, just say it. But what I'm getting from you is you don't want to get married at all!!! You know how much that hurts?" She bursts out crying. Jimmy couldn't turn his back on her and watch her cry. This was their first big fight after six years, he knew this was coming a long time ago.

"Mary, I just.....I don't.....marriage is not for me. Please." Jimmy pleaded.

"Maybe we have to think about things between us, Jimmy." She said, grabbed her bag and took off leaving Jimmy alone in their apartment. As soon as she left, he started crying and called Justin.

-----

Mary knocked on Tina's door. She waited a few seconds before somebody opened it.

"Hey, Mary, what are you doing here?" Tina asked, she was happily surprised by Mary's unexpected visit.

"Can I come in?" Mary asked.

"Sure!! Come in, come in." Tina said, leading Mary in her living room where she was probably watching a movie before Mary came in. "Do you want something to eat? Drink?"

"A beer please." Mary said.

Tina sat down beside Mary with a couple of beers and carefully placed jt on top of the glass table beside them.

"So, what's the problem?" Tina asked finally.

"Jimmy." Mary said.

Tina shrugged her head. "What? What's the matter?" She was shocked, after all these years of knowing her, Mary hadn't visited Tina's home to talk about problems between Jimmy and her.

"I asked him if he'll ever marry because we've been together for a long time, and he said that marriage wasn't for him. What an asshole!" Mary said, crying again. Forcing herself not to throw things out of frustration.

"Wow." Was all that Tina had to say.

"I mean, he's not getting any younger." Mary continued crying. "I want to build a family with him and I want to get married but it seemed like he wasn't on the same page as me.

Tine breathed in heavily. "Mary, I know I'm not in the right place to say this, I know this might ruin our friendship-me and jimmy-but, I can't bear seeing you both like this. I know Jimmy, maybe he just don't know how to say it and all...."

"What is it Tina?" Mary asked eagerly.

"He's been engaged before. About to get married to this girl." Tina said.

Mary's tears started to fall down again. Her head was starting to get filled up with those information. "What? How?"

"I know it's his fault not telling you. But I understand him, it's been really hard for him." Tina continued.

"So? What happened?" Mary asked.

"The girl didn't show up. Jimmy waited but she didn't show up." Tina said, finishing her short story.

"Oh my God." Mary said. "I can't believe that he hasn't told me about this. I mean, is he thinking that I'd leave him too?"

"Well, in his position, I'll be very afraid of committing to that level after what happened. No doubt, Jimmy loves you Mary. It's just that it's hard to take that same chance he took with that woman and it ruined him." Tina said.

"But I won't leave him ever." Mary defended herself.

"I know. Help him, help him understand what you want. Help him in dealing with his fear. Help him be ready for your future together. Help him, Mary." Tina advised her.

-----

Jimmy saw Mary entering their apartment. He rushed into her and hugged her.

"Mary, I know, I'm wrong. I'm sorry for being like that. I want to get married to you, trust me, I'd love to, It's just that....." He looked at her.

"It's just that you're scared....I know Jimmy, Tina told me." She said.

"What?" Jimmy was shocked. He was relieved at some point.

"I know what happened, Jimmy. I wish you could've told me." Mary said, making an effort not to raise her voice.

"Mary, I'm sorry....." Jimmy said.

She fixed his hair and wrapped her arms around his neck. "I understand that you're scared, honey, but you have to let me in so that I can help you conquer your fear. I'm here. I won't leave you. I will always be here when you need me. I won't ever turn my back on you." She promised him.

"I just didn't know how to tell you, Mary." He said.

"It's okay. I'm in no rush. As long as we're getting married, I don't care when. Take as long as you need. I'm right here to help you. I'm here, baby. And I love you." Mary said and kissed him, he kissed back, Mary felt tears on her cheeks and it wasn't hers.

"I love you too." He whispered in her ears and hugged her like he was going to loose her.

••••••

Just a quick update.

Gosh!!!!! I'm so tired. I hate school works!!!

Vote and Comment 🌸