Part 34

Mary's POV

He took his phone and went to the kitchen's corner, I faked a laugh and acted like I was listening to Kyle's story but I was staring at Jimmy. Why does he look so worried? Who the hell called? I don't normally care who calls Jimmy. But when he looks like this, I begin to get curious.

"Mary, honey, I need to talk to you." Jimmy said as he gently pulls my chair out. I politely excused myself and we talked in the kitchen.

"What's up?" I asked him.

"I need to go back to Chicago l tonight." He said. At first I thought he was kidding but I looked into his eyes, I saw that he wasn't.

"What?" I asked.

"Kate's sick and Kevin's got no one to call so I need to go there." He explained while he held my hands in a tight grip.

"Can't they just ask somebody else?" I noticed that my voice started to get louder.

"Mary, they have no one. It's only them and I am the only one who can help them." He said, I can't believe that he's actually saying these things. My eyes started to water up but I didn't want him to see me cry tonight. I looked over at Jane and Kyle, they were looking at us and it was all awkward.

Kyle walked over. "Hey, Mary, Jim, we needed to go anyways. Thank you for the dinner." He said. I didn't know what to reply.

"What? No. We still have dessert." I said to Jane.

"It's okay, Mary, let's catch up some time soon, okay?" Jane said, I know they just wanted us to have some privacy.

I watched them walk out of our apartment door before I turned to Jimmy who hasn't said a word since.

"You happy?" I said to him.

"How does that make me happy? I just asked you if I can go to Chicago tonight to help my son out." He said.

I can't fucking believe this. "Go. Go help out your son." I said sarcastically. What the fuck? He's going to leave me here? Our fight unresolved? And I'm fucking pregnant. What the actual fuck?

"Mary, hear me out. I just can't abandon my son." He said.

"What? You didn't know about him since last week! Listen to yourself, Jim. Go. 17 years of silence and suddenly they need you, okay that's great. Go do what you want." I said.

He didn't say anything, he just shrugged his shoulders and went inside our room. What the fuck? Is this for real? I began to cry, I couldn't take it anymore.

He got out with his backpack and put on a hoodie, he saw me crying. "Go. Don't talk to me." I said before he could even come near me. I was so mad.

I heard the door shut.

~

Jimmy's POV

Why couldn't she understand that I haven't seen my kid in 17 years. Yeah okay this is both so new to us especially to her, she has every right to be angry but does she have to really question my choices.

The last thing I wanted to do is to leave my pregnant wife alone in our home. But I can't just ignore Kevin. I know Mary is a strong girl, it's just for a couple of days anyway and I asked Justin and Jess to check on her.

I bought a couple of clothes at the airport because I was in a hurry not wanting to cause more stress to Mary. I don't know why I'm feeling super pissed off. Maybe because we haven't fought in a while and this is a super sensitive issue. I need a drink.

I arrived at Chicago the next day and went straight to the hospital where I saw Kevin sleeping at the side of his mother.

"Kev.." I tapped his shoulder gently.

He slowly opened his eyes and immediately hugged me. His hug was so tight. It felt like he was really in pain. "Dad! I'm so glad you're here."

"What happened? What did the doctors say?" I went out and searched for available doctors.

"She has lung cancer, Dad." Kevin broke down and started to cry as he sat on the chair.

I honestly didn't know what to feel. A part of me didn't care at all but I look back at all the things we shared before and I began to feel pity for her. She has no one other than Kevin. I want to be there for them through this hard time.

"I'm so sorry, Kevin. Don't worry, I will take care of everything. Everything that you and your mother needs." I said. It was sincere.

"We need you, Dad. Your presence. Do you know how hard it is to grow up and not have a father? You grow up confused and angry. And now that you're here, please stay." He said. His tears was continuously flowing.

"Hey." I tried to console him. "I know that it's hard but son you have to understand that I'm gonna have a family now and I can't commit myself in you guys." I said as I held him.

"We're your family too right? Why can't you just choose us?! God damn it!" He ran off. I know he just said all those things out of anger and pain and everything that is happening.

"Jim?" Kate said. She slowly tried to sit up.

"Kate. Careful." I helped her sit up and fetched her some water from the pitcher.

"What happened?" She asked.

"Kevin's hurt. Saying he wants me to stay." I explained.

"Sorry. It's just the circumstances speaking." She said as she coughs and it was really bad.

"What did the doctors say exactly?" I asked.

"Well, for starters, I only have less than a year. If lucky, a year." She said. I watched as she said every word with a smile on her face like it's nothing.

"Kate." I came near and hugged her. "Maybe it can be treated by chemo you know?" I said. Trying to lift her up.

"Yeah but that's like 5% chance. I should've given up smoking a long time ago." She said looking out the window.

"Then we'll do chemo. Don't think about it I will take care of everything." I suggested.

"I don't want to die trying with all those chemicals. I want to spend what I have left with Kevin and just enjoy his company." She said.

"Are you kidding? You'll have plenty of time to spend when you get cured."

"But it's not guaranteed! Thanks, Jimmy, but I want to just let this be." She said and closed her eyes, tears escaped from her left eye.

~

Don't have much time to edit this, guys. Lol. Just wrote it as fast as possible. Won't be able to write for the next few days. Hope y'all enjoy every chapter.

❤️