Chapter 23: Volunteers

Shannon’s POV

After a week of vacation, I am back again with a bunch of work loads. To be honest, I really hate this kind of feeling, that feeling where I need to face too much work after my hiatus. I mean, I love my college program, but sometimes it is too overwhelming. Plus the fact that I have to bear this curiosity inside me. I can't still forget that day, at my parent's grave.

I sigh while facing my sketch pad. I need to know the truth, but right now I must focus on this tons of school work in front of me.

Milly and I are inside the room and doing our figure drawing. Our professor is still on leave, that is why the president of our room is in charge of the class. And because of that, Milly got her chance to talk endlessly even when we are in the midst of an activity. It’s been thirty minutes since she started on convincing me about our requirement for our minor subject, and I’m getting tired of explaining my point.

This semester, we have to join at least one organization as part of our work immersion, but I haven’t figured out what organization I am going to join. The good thing is, I still have three days left before the deadline of the list.

“Come on, Rei! I think joining Sadashi’s group is the easiest way for us. Why do we even have to participate in some complicated organization when we have this option?” Milly says for the nth time.

I shake my head again. I know she just wants to make the last three months of our academic year breathable, but I find this immersion significant. I don’t want to join a group just for the sake of completion.

“Rei, look. We have tons of requirements to do, so why not settle for the less demanding group?”

“Milly, this immersion is not just for our subject completion and curriculum vitae, this is a good chance to learn something by experience,” I shoot back as I continue shading my sketches.

I hear her disagreements, but after her long remarks on how much of a hassle this choice is, she still nods in agreement. I smile victoriously.

“You are too good for this world, my friend. Fine. Then tell me when you find some ‘good organization’ that we can sign up to."

My smile widened because of her abidance. I am sure that she will realize the importance of this activity once we start on the project. But for now, I have to find a "good organization" as she said.

I close my sketchpad and fix my things that've been scattered on my desk. After our last class, Milly bids her goodbye since she still has another class to attend. So I am walking alone on the busy hallway of Dionysus building. I think some students from different programs have the same class schedule as mine.

“Business Management?” I whisper to myself.

I wonder if Wyn has the same class with these Business Management students that I am walking along with. I didn’t ask about his schedule, but I know that he’s taking the same program.

It’s been a while since I last saw them, I did not expect this, but I actually miss their presence. Conrad said that we have to focus on our studies for now, he will contact us if we’ll be needed for the next project of the Paradigm. That is why, after our movie marathon on Blaze’s unit, I haven’t heard about them yet. I think that Blaze was bothered with his thoughts too so he didn't contact them. He was actually complaining about how messy his friends are and I guess that's one of the reasons why the house was eerily quiet.

I stop walking when the bulletin flashes its screen for some announcement. Some students halt and peek, but eventually walk past it. I guess they are not interested in the announcement, unlike me.