Chapter 10: Condemn

Shannon’s POV

I add one last shading before putting my pencils down and deciding to rest for a bit. I've been working on some sketches and most of them are based on the famous areas inside M58. I just realized that since I'm going to be living here for a while, I should use this chance to gather up some images that I can use for my future artworks and draw some scenery I wasn't able to draw before because I couldn't see them. I guess living here isn't that bad after all.

One by one, I stare at the pictures I took  as I look for another image I can make use of. My first sketch features the expensive prices of the food in here and how the workers in this messier are enduring everything. I'm not planning to post this on my platform, I just needed some daily reminders so that I will not forget that I don't belong in this messier along with the cruelness and unjustness of this country.

I drew Neron's penthouse one last time, before deciding to call it a day for my fancy arts. I collect my things and put them back to their rightful places before grabbing my sketchpad and getting out of the room. I tiptoe my way to the kitchen, trying not to make any noise. I hid behind the kitchen wall and carefully scanned the area. After making sure that that guy wasn't here, I proceeded to my business.

"Ugh! Seriously?" I scoff when I see the notes plastered on every single thing in the kitchen. From utensils to appliances, there's a note saying, "Private property. Do not use it unless granted permission."

"Argh! That dumbass! I hate him!" I march back to my room before I explode and break his things. I don’t plan on spending a single penny on anything useless but I'm left with no choice! The things here are so fucking expensive and my savings will surely be wiped out but I need to live. I grab my phone and calculate everything as I list down the things that I need for now.

I look at my phone’s notepad to check one last time if everything I need is written on my list. It’s been a week since I moved in here, my new temporary home. Since I have no choice,  I have decided to finally go out and buy all my necessities. I’ve been planning to buy all the stuff that I needed anyway so maybe this is a good time. I’ve gotten so busy for the past few days that it left me with no choice but to wait. I even lost track of the date. I also may have nearly forgotten about the important event that this day has in store for Huxley, if not because of what Milly said yesterday.

“My cousin said I have to give this to you. Tomorrow will be the first wave of CDRID trials. You can’t just stroll around the M58 with only just a golden badge now. They’ll find out that you’re a commoner based on your CDRID,'' she reminds me.

Unfortunately, our protest and the warning of The Anonymous resulted in nothing. The bill still continued to become a law and today is the trial of the first batch of CDRIDs. I am so disappointed with the court’s decision, but what can I expect? Of course, they’ll never let the paupers and peasants win this battle. I just got my hopes up because of the interference of the Anonymous, but even with their support, still, nothing happened.

I take out the fake CDRID from my wallet and analyze it carefully. I don’t know how Neron made this ID but I am so amazed by how detailed and legitimate it seems. However, even though this looks really similar with the authentic ones, I still can’t help but to feel nervous using it. What if it suddenly stops working? What if the security becomes suspicious and check my card thoroughly? Argh. I’ll just hope that everything will work well.

After exiting the building, I walk to the nearby bus stop and ride the bus to the nearest mall of the area. I’ve been living in this city for a week now but I still haven’t gone to the other side of it so I’m still not familiar with the route. Aside from the fact that I have no time to go sightseeing, I don’t really like the idea of getting comfortable in this messier. I am not originally from here and I have no plans staying here longer than I need to.