Chapter1: Vuelve

Shannon's POV

I avoid all the holographic advertisements that are popping up in front of me as I make my way towards my favorite coffee shop on the busy streets of Messier 60.

I glance at a commoner talking to the hologram of a saleslady as she tries to bargain. I just shake my head as I take a left turn. If that woman was an elite, I'm sure she wouldn't need to bargain.

The door of the coffee shop automatically opens as I step on the rag. I am greeted by a gust of wind from the air conditioner and the familiar aroma of coffee beans enters my nose. The smell of the coffee and freshly baked bread are two of the many reasons why I love going here.

Ever since they decided to divide the place according to the social status of people, all you can smell outside is asphalt and cement. It is very displeasing to the nose. They made this stupid coterie of elites that caused a bitter dissension within those who are below. Different sectors were made and those who are of higher ranking are allowed to access every sector while the ones of lower ranks have limited access and sometimes, no access at all.

After ordering my usual chocolate milkshake frappe, I settle on a table at the far left corner. I'm a regular customer in this cafe, but I still had to fall in line for almost twenty minutes just to buy this drink. It must be so fast and hassle free to order if I am an elite. Unfortunately, I'm not.

I open my sketch pad and scribble on the paper, letting my hand do whatever it wants as my mind wanders off, thinking of a concept of what I should draw. There is really no specific idea coming out, so I've just decided to draw the interior of the shop.

I scan and look around to clearly visualize the surroundings. The coffee shop has this small, cozy, and warm interior. There are three pairs of line tube single chairs with a coffee table. From the spot I am sitting is where the bookshelves are located. This is where I usually sit down every time I stay here, not that I even have a chance to choose where to sit.

A lot of students from Huxley University, as well as I, like hanging out here every vacant hour. Commoners like me can freely enter this kind of establishment, however, there's a lot of restriction. For example, I can't sit in the middle area and there's a separate line on the counter for us.

I scowl whenever I think about this stupid covenant that no one from the lower ranks really agreed to. I really hate this system. Paupers often consider commoners lucky, but I oppose accepting those remarks. I am not fortunate, they are just deprived by their rights. Those from the higher positions are the only group who benefited from this kind of ruling.

"Move!"

I lift my head to see the commotion coming from the entrance of the shop. I saw three elites walking inside the store along with their dozen of bodyguards. The shiny jewelries decorating their branded clothing is enough sign to speak for their wealth. Those big robot-like men push away any commoner who is blocking the way of their "majesty". Everyone with a silver badge on their shirt is shoveled away to make a clear path for the VIPs.

"Huh... Portentous fricks..." I murmur before sipping my drink. I watched how the three brats sat on the center and occupied the biggest couch like they owned the whole place. The store manager quickly comes near them and attentively asks for their orders. Like me, other commoners are just silently eyeing the scene.

"Can you make these peasants mind their own business and leave?" the girl in the middle says. Obviously pertaining to us, even though we are not peasants. She clearly just wants to insult us.

"I'm sorry, miss, but they are not paupers so I can't make them leave," the store manager apologizes and bows to her.

The girl, instead of understanding what the manager said, glared at the old manager and reviled the poor man. Her temper sparked. "Don't you know us?! My friend here is a daughter of a PLUTOCRAT! You are disrespecting us. Are you stupid?!"