Chapter 17: Catherine

Shannon’s POV

Right when I got back home from class that day, I immediately deactivated my blog account and decided to lay low. I know that everyone will probably be suspicious of the students from the Fine Arts department, because we’re pretty much known for creating arts and illustrations. I had to make sure not to leave any traces so that people won’t doubt my identity.

Today is Saturday. It’s been three days since Zac started living in the unit with me. Personally, I don’t really mind his presence because we’re both busy with our own devices, and I rarely get out of my room. If anything, I’m actually thankful for him because he’s always making dinner while I make breakfast every morning.

I look outside my room’s window, and adore how the sky was clear and serene. It’s definitely a sight after all that rain these past few days. And since the weather is fine today and I have no classes, I decide to drop by my family home.

I don’t bother packing a lot of stuff, I still have a lot of things at my folks’ place. All I need is this small snapsack of mine, and I’m good to go. 

I ring up Mama’s cell just to give her a heads up on my visit today. I really miss my older sister. I'm excited to see her face, and I can’t wait to tell her about the events that happened to me lately.

I am about to take my leave but I think that it wouldn’t hurt to bid Zac goodbye, at least he will have the whole place to himself for today. I gently knock on his door, only to be answered by silence. I took the liberty to open it and look inside.

“Zac?” No answer.

No one is inside the master’s bedroom but I can hear the water running inside the bathroom, so I decide to just leave him a note. I have no idea what his phone number is yet so I can’t text him.

After sticking my note in front of his door, I stare at it for a minute, checking if my note is clear. After feeling satisfied, I proceed to leave the unit.

Riding a bullet train from M58 to M69 takes me two long hours. It’s actually much faster than riding a bus, which takes me about 3 hours of travel or more depending if there’s light or heavy traffic. However, it costs quite a fortune. 

Our house is located on the province side of the country, that’s why I always feel so refreshed and at peace whenever I visit there. It’s like I am in a world of tranquility, full of kind and loving people.

“Shannon! Long time no see. Are you here to visit your family?” Mr. Lindo, our friendly neighbor, greets me.

“Yes, Mister.” I smile back before continuing my walk.

Everyone in our neighborhood is familiar with each other. The bonds between the people here are heartwarming, it’s as if they are a huge family.

With a soft smile adorning my face, I trot the path on my way home. Small but cozy, just how I want it to be. The sight of my own house is enough to calm my nerves after the anxiety caused by my lost illustration trending on every social media account there is, even on Oasis.

I stop at our front door and look around the whole area. It’s been three months since I last visited my home and although nothing much really changed, I still missed everything.

“Edrei! What are you still doing there? Come here and give your mama a hug!” Mama cheerfully exclaims.

I start walking again until I reach her and pull her for a tight embrace. She gently pats my head and squeezes our bodies merrily. Gosh, I missed my family so much.

“Have you eaten? How long was your ride?” Mama asks.

We walk inside our house and the sight of  my old man fixing our old television in the lounge immediately greets me. When he noticed my presence, he quickly stopped what he was doing and stretched his arms, waiting for me to embrace him.