Chapter 14: Secret

Xeno's POV

I run around the court in full sweats as I dribble the ball. I stop outside the three point line and get into my throwing position before releasing the ball. Three points! I slump on the cold floor, laying on my back and gasping for air. It's been a long time since I played here. I can't even remember what it feels like to sweat so much, not until now.

I stand up as my breathing normalized and scan my eyes around the whole court. The hoops are suspended in the air, and the ceiling looks like a galaxy due to the twinkling small lights scattered on the caliginous background. They changed the design; it wasn't like this before. My mind can still remember how every corner of this place looks like before they turned it into a basketball court.

There's no way I can forget. Every single memory of her, with her, is engraved in my mind.

I walk towards the top of the suspended score board, push the middle part and enter my code. The ceiling slowly opens and reveals the original purpose of the whole place. I watch as the suspended basketball hoops slowly turn into target boards, the middle of the court elevates, and different weapons appear. The score board earlier becomes a small space made for the audience. It still pains me everytime I see this practice room, but the pain feels so good. Especially if it's about her.

I'm not really a friendly person but she helped me mold myself into a new one. Funny how she also became the reason why I'm back to being the old me. I walk towards the far end of the practice room and stop in front of a small narrow space. I'm not sure if I should pull the fabric that is covering it, but the nostalgia is far greater than my hesitation.

I sneeze as dust infiltrates my nose. My heart feels alive and I can't control its rampant beating. I can't help but to reminisce about the past when I saw the small toy cars and board games inside. I try to enter but the opening is too small for my tall figure. I can't believe that Ed and I can fit in here before. I manage to pull out a big pouch containing different coloring materials. I feel ecstatic upon touching it. This is her pouch. I feel like she's still here beside me. This place used to be our safe haven.

We would hide inside this tiny, constricted room whenever I don't want to train or when I just want to disappear and not be found. We would play in here until we got tired or hungry. I can't help but to smile upon remembering her funny face every time she complains that she's famished and that we should go out.

I was supposed to grab another remembrance when I heard a footstep approaching. I immediately run to the emergency lever on the opposite side, and pull it downwards. I'm panicking inside as I hear the footsteps getting nearer, but the last basketball hoop is still not yet in position. They can't discover my secret place. If my father learns about this, I'm sure he'll destroy this place in no time.

I sprint to the front door to buy time, but the door already bursts open. I quickly lay on the ground and shut my eyes.

"Young master!"

"Argh!" I put my hands on my leg and put my acting skills to play.

He immediately goes on my side. "Is everything okay? What happened?"

Instead of listening to him, I open one of my eyes and simply glance at the last basketball hoop to see if it's already in place. When I saw that everything was deemed normal, I stood up and shook off the dust on my sweaty shirt.

"I'm okay now. What's the matter?"

"Young master, your father is on the phone right now," Tyler, my butler says.

I stretch my neck as I turn my attention to him and reach for the phone.

"Yes, father?" I greeted. I motion Tyler to clean the area before walking out of there.