Chapter 37: Alive

Donovan’s POV

I closed my eyes and breathed deeply, anger and frustration won't do me any good right now.

I know I shouldn’t have revealed the masterlist of the members of the Paradigm, but I can’t just let them beat my friend in front of me. Xeno and I are not the closest in our group, but he’s still my buddy. I know how painful it is to accept that you can’t fight back no matter how much you want to, that is why I want to help him or protect him in any way that I can even though it means giving that goddamn list.

When I opened my eyes, the one weak bulb that lightens up the dark room greets me. How long has it been since I was locked in here? Weeks? Months? There was no way to track the time in this barren room. Why are they still keeping me anyways? I've given them all the information that I have. Are there things that they need me for?

The whole room is spacious, especially since it’s just me staying here. Aside from two double beds and an open urinal on the corner, there’s really nothing to see inside. There are no windows, no other things aside from a comforter and a single pillow. The room is really made impossible for you to escape. I haven’t seen Xeno after the last time that he was tortured in front of me. I guess there’s a lot of room in this place and they are keeping the others in different rooms so that we can’t speak with each other. As if preventing us from planning things or even giving us a chance to do so.

After minutes of staring blankly at the wall, I decided to lay down and just sleep the night away. However, not long after, I heard the door open so I immediately sat up and waited for someone to get inside.

“Why... Why are you guys here?”

I can’t believe that I am seeing Neron and Conrad right in front of me. But when reality started to kick in I suddenly felt guilty and responsible. Because of me, they ended up here. This is all my fault, it's because I told them the master list.

“You already look like a tenant from being here for so long. You're used to living here now aren’t you?” Neron spoke.

He walked toward me and gave me a long hug. I know Neron is not the type of person who’s comfortable with hugs or any physical interaction with us, but maybe because we are so worried for each other and miss everyone, the hug can’t be helped.

“You shouldn’t be here. I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine, they’ll find us sooner or later. I already expected this to happen,” Neron replied.

“I gave them the master list. I didn’t have a choice, they would've beaten Xeno to death if I didn’t.”

“I'm certain they wouldn’t do that,” Conrad interjected.

I glance at him who’s silently scanning the whole room. He looks so calm and collected despite our situation.

“Where is he?” Neron asked.

“I don’t know. The last time I saw him was when they were beating him up so that I'll reveal the list.”

I invited them to sit and asked how the minions caught them. They both said that the cops just knocked on their doors and arrested them right on the spot. Of course they couldn’t question the reason for their arrest because of the state of law we are in right now, so they had no choice but to come with them.

I didn’t even know about the declaration of Martial Law. It’s only been brought to my attention when Neron told me about what’s happening outside. That’s when I realized the reason as to why they can’t do anything to help me or locate where I am. I admit that I felt disappointment after weeks of not getting any sign of help from my friends. But now that I became aware of their situation, I regret feeling that before.