Chapter Thirty-Eight

A/n Hello... it's been a bit.  I just re-read my story so I have now regained some writing inspiration. This has been sitting in my google docs the past few months.  I'll start working on a part two tomorrow. 

Jughead POV

Once I saw them walk out of Pops door I decided I might as well leave too.

I threw the money I owed for my coffee and headed out the door.

It feels like any other day when I'm driving. I can picture going inside of my house to see my girls together. Pipe dreams.

That was a morning I could never have expected.

I still haven't been able to determine if I was in the right place at the right time, or if I had just shattered my chances of getting back with her and sealed my fate.

As I pull up in our driveway I feel a strong sense of trepidation flow through my body.

I know as soon as I unlock the door and walk into our empty house, reality will hit me like a ton of bricks.

Still I take out my keys and put them into the handle. This is a task that I used to do without a second thought, but today it felt like every small motion that took place was bringing me closer and closer to the brink of insanity.

Walking in, the first thing my eyes are drawn to is the mess that I had made. I don't entirely remember when or how it happened, but I knew it was me. There was no one else around that could be held responsible for the actions that had taken place here.

A wave of exhaustion hit instantly so I headed over to the couch.

I tried to picture the conversation from this morning. It's all in bits and pieces.

I remember the screaming and crying, but the words have seemed to escape my brain.

I can recall how it started. I had asked her if she really wanted to end it. I don't believe she ever gave a clear response.

We haggled over our past arguments, but I feel like I had to have missed something bigger.

I rack my brain until I remember:

"THEY'RE NOT YOUR KIDS JUGHEAD."

What did she mean by that? How could she say I'm out a father to Juliet.

Then my mind clicked...

"Kids... kids... kids?" I spoke aloud.

There's no way she's pregnant. She would have told me. I can't find another explanation as to why she would say such a thing. I couldn't imagine Betty ever saying something like that for no reason.

I shot up onto my feet.

"I have to get to her." I said to myself.

I grabbed my car keys and slammed the front door shut not bothering to lock it.

The same thing echoed in my head the whole way to Archie's.

"Kids. Kids. Kids."

I couldn't have been crazy. She has to have said that.

Veronica POV

As soon as Betty broke away from our brief embrace to go to her room I turned back towards Archie.

"Hey Arch" I said as I wrapped my hands around his torso.

"Hey Ronnie" he said while kissing the top of my head. "I missed you"

"I missed you too."

As we broke away I asked, "So what are you going to do right now?"

"Probably go on a run, clear my head"

I understood entirely. These past few days had been crazy.

"Ok." I said smiling. "I'll see you soon."

"See you soon." he said kissing me on the cheek before heading out front.

I let out a long sigh before heading towards our couch.

I slowly start drifting off but before I was finally in REM sleep I was shot awake by someone pounding on the front door.

I groaned as I lifted myself off the couch and called out, "Who is it?"

No reply.

I opened the door only to be met face to face with Jughead Jones.

Jughead POV

I pulled up to the curb in front of their house and rushed up to the front door.

I knocked on the door rapidly until I heard the lock click on the other side.

I was met with a stern faced Veronica. My lucky day.

"What the hell are you doing here Jug-head?"

"I need to see Betty." I responded urgently.

"Doubtful. What you need is to back off."

"You don't get it Veronica. It's important and I need to see her."

Of course she wouldn't understand why this was such a priority to me. Unless...

"You know why I'm here." I said in a slowed tone.

"I can't say I do." She started.

"ENOUGH WITH YOUR BULLSHIT. I SAW YOU AT THE STORE."

She backed up a bit and stared at me with a look of vengeance.

"Who told you? Was it Archie."

"Archie knows about this?..." I stared in anger which clearly made her uncomfortable.

She looked at me radiating an 'oh shit' facial expression.

She collected herself only so she could start up again.

"If he didn't tell you, who did?"

I don't know why I felt the urge to lay down my cards for her to see but I just wanted to get this over with.

"Betty and I were talking outside of Pop's and she let it slip."

A/n So this chapter wasn't super interesting but it's something for now.  Shit's going to go down soon.