KidgetoberDay 5: Leaves

Hope you enjoy!!! Stay safe! Any mistakes are all me

Keith has been back on Earth for less than a week. He was staying with Shiro and Curtis because he didn't want to live on the Garrison base. Screw them. Shiro had let slip that the Garrison was giving Pidge a hard time because she entered under a false identity and now were telling her she had to renter as a cadet. Stripping her of her rank and dismissing the fact that she fucking saved the world. Which was complete and utter crap!

Once Shiro mentioned it Keith couldn't get it out of his head. His mom said he was useless and should just get back to Earth. After a day of being 'crabby' his crew said the same. Keith knew from the moment he heard the news he was pissed but more than that he figured she'd need all her friends to have her back. So Keith finally agreed and he headed to Earth with Cosmo leaving his mom in charge of things.

The new commander was sneaky and more of a bureaucrat versus soldier. He was of course offered an opportunity to stay on the base which he refused.  Hence the free day at Shiro's. With no one home, he decided to rake the leaves  and do a few odd jobs around the house. He knows Shiro won't take any money so the least he could do are some chores.

Keith was deep in thought trying to figure out how to leverage Voltron's fame for real power to back Pidge. He knew her parents and Shiro were trying their best but he had to do something. They didn't try to demote him or the other guys. And while they did enter under their own name, he actually got kicked out. He was getting through the yard at a brisk pace when he heard Cosmo barking excitedly. He looked up and saw Pidge striding through the back gate.

The sun was behind her so he couldn't see her expression but he could see her strong unfaltering stride and hear the slamming of the gate. Smiling, he called out, "Hey Pidge, come to help?"

"HA, yeah right! You could always drop by my parents though if you like to rake! I thought you had an assignment?! Isn't that what you said a few weeks ago? You didn't need to drop everything and come save me. I don't know if you noticed but I'm a pretty capable adult now!"

Keith nods, "Yeah I know. But that doesn't mean having friends around is a bad thing. Right? You keep telling me that I'm not alone anymore. Rrrriiigggggtttttt? Or is that advice just for me? And not for YOU!"

Keith doesn't want to announce that he was using whatever leverage he had to help her cause. Or threatening people to get them in line. She gets pretty prickly when people want to help her. So he'll just keep that part to himself. He could be sneaky when he needed to or when it was necessary.

"Watch out for my leaf pile! I'm working on getting this yard cleared. Shiro was saying he wanted to do a bonfire this week so having mounds of leaves is more of a fire hazard than you might think."

"Keith, you did not come back to Earth to rake leaves. Just stop."

"But, Cosmo loves leaves. Right boy?"

Cosmo looks confused yet runs over to Pidge to get her attention. Keith smiles, knowing how he feels. He loves when Pidge is focused on him or when she listens so intently to what he says. It's novel because growing up most other kids wouldn't pay him any mind. To have this extremely intelligent and beautiful woman listen to him is special.

Keith then notices how Cosmo really dwarfs her at his point and he can't help but think how cute they are together. She laughs as he tackles her to the ground, straight into the big leaf pile. Keith knew Shiro was worried about her, saying she'd been pretty stressed and worried. Looking at her now, he's glad he made he decision to come back to Earth. He's not leaving her.

He growls, pretending to be annoyed, "Damn Pidge look at the mess you made!"

Pidge laughs again and retorts, "Don't blame me, it's your damn space dog!! Isn't it boy?!?"

As she stands, Keith impulsively tackles her back into the leaf pile, making sure to take her weight and spinning them around so he was on the bottom. They wrestle for a minute when suddenly their eyes meet and his breath catches in his throat. He can feel her body pressed to his and he wants nothing more than to kiss her...so he does. After a few minutes, Pidge pulls back, face flushed and heartbeat racing. He drops his head back to the ground and whispers, "Don't leaf me alone."

Pidge groaning and laughing she rolls off him asking "Keith, are you kidding me? A pun???"

He smiles and impulsively decides, nope, he's not kidding. He's keeping her. By whatever means are necessary. He'll help her fix this problem but at the end of the day, he will make her his.