XII: Escape successful?

Yes Lucius was good. Ty for reading.
                  ________________________
Severus looked at the parchment in his hand. He couldn't describe the happiness and relief that was flowing through him, even if he didn't let it show on his face. They were finally going to get out of this prison. He could see the relief on the Gryffindor's faces that he felt.

'Always wearing their hearts on their sleeves.', he thought. Yet he noticed he didn't really seem to mind that about them. He was also surprised to learn that he didn't mind their company of all people. They weren't that bad once you got to know them.

He put the self-evaluation aside at the moment because they had to make a plan. As much as these idiots would, most likely, rush out there they still needed to be discreet. He said as much.

"So, you want us to go as slow as a grandma now?"

"Maybe we can even listen in on some information. We can tell the aurors about what we've learned. It might help the war.", James couldn't help but suggest.

"Are you mad?", Remus protested vehemently while Severus said at the same time, "Are you off your rocker?"

As all eyes turned towards him he started speaking, ranting, "You do realize that if the Dark Lord sees us he will kill us without a second thought. Not to mention this place will be filled with Death Eaters. The reason I'm saying we should be careful is because this place is still the meeting place of Death Eaters.

"So unless you want to give in to impulses to pseudo-heroism and foolhardy bravery I would advise you to follow my lead." What was wrong with them? Was it a trait in all Gryffindors to be so damn sacrificial? When his little rant was over, he saw the surprised looks of the Gryffindors. Feeling a bit unnerved and indignant he asked, "What?"

"It's just that's the most we've heard you speak. In ever.", James supplied.

"But you are right Severus." Remus glared at the other two. "We can't do anything rash. We need to get out of here as soon as possible. Our parents must be worried. And Severus you and I both know that Lily and Regulus are worried for you. The same stands for you Sirius."

Severus mentally cursed at how perceptive the wolf could be at times. He would never loudly admit it but it did feel nice to think that he was worthy enough to be cared for.
________
Remus and the rest were now waiting. It felt like hours but Remus was sure that only a few minutes would have passed. The anticipation, trepidation and worry was etched on everyone's face.

Remus, himself, had doubts. What if all of this was just a ploy? Give them false hope before dashing it completely. Remus wouldn't put it past Death eaters to do something like that. Then, it happened.

The small note burned a bright green flame, disappearing completely. Nothing was left of it, and thus no proof that the note was ever passed. Remus had to remind himself that this was passed by a Slytherin and Slytherin's were nothing if not thorough.

Severus got up, the key in his hand. Sliding the key into the lock, he gulped. He turned the key. It clicked. The door was open. Remus released a breath he didn't know he was holding. Any doubts he had were now slightly less than they were before.

Severus opened the door fully. It creaked, but not too loudly. Still Remus saw Severus wince at the noise. They quickly filed out of the cell. Severus locked the door behind him. James raised an eyebrow in question.

Severus rolled his eyes before mouthing, "So they won't notice."

Remus looked around. The dungeons weren't any better than the cell they were just in. The walls were stone, gray and gave off a depressing aura. The only light came from torches as there were no windows and they only made the environment more depressing. The cast eerie shadows on the wall that made Remus really uncomfortable.

They walked in single file, Severus at front and Remus at the back. Upon reaching the door, they waited while Severus opened it. Remus saw Severus look to the left then right. He then motioned them to follow him. The coast was clear. So far, so good.
_______
Sirius really hated going this slow. This was taking forever. But he didn't want to get caught again, so he consented to the slow pace. As soon as they got out of the dimly lit hall, they were assaulted by the bright light. It took them a second to adjust after spending all the time in mostly darkness.

Sirius took the opportunity to look around and he had to admit, the Malfoys had style. They were currently in the living room. The ceilings were tall with a chandelier hanging in the middle, the sofas, a soft cream color, went quite well with the dark blue curtains. The fireplace was roaring, many different antiques set on top of the fireplace.

If they weren't prisoners escaping, Sirius would have appreciated the place more. Suddenly a loud and painful scream sounded from the room across from them, stopping them in their tracks. Standing on the staircase, Sirius saw the color drain from Severus' face making him even more pale than he already was.

Sirius himself felt weak in the knees. He knew that someone was being tortured, most probably someone who had displeased Voldemort. Shaking himself mentally, he pushed James forward and grabbed Remus. Sirius didn't want to stay here any longer than they had.

"We're almost there.", Severus informed them.

"Finally.", James mumbled. They could see a long hall. How big was this place, Sirius wondered. What neither of them prepared for was, at that moment for Peter Pettigrew to step on the stairs in front of them. Sirius saw in slow motion, James shoving Severus aside and punching Peter.

Peter fell down the stairs alerting the other Death Eaters. There was a cry of "the prisoners have escaped." before the sound of footsteps reached Sirius' ears.

"Run.", Severus yelled. They ran, curses flew behind them, they dodged. Luckily no one got hurt. Severus turned around a corner then another. Remus dropped a statue in the way to slow down their pursuers.

Sirius could feel the pounding of his heart, and the adrenaline in his veins. They ran. 'Damnit where are we going?', Sirius wondered as a spell whizzed past his head, barely missing James. At that moment Severus yanked opened a door. They entered a massive room.

Severus started pulling things apart, books papers telling them to do the same. He told them to search for a leaf shaped pin. They started searching frantically. Sirius could hear the footsteps getting closer.

"Found it.", Remus yelled with a small green and silver leaf shaped pin in his hand. They all touched it as the Death Eaters entered, Bellatrix in the lead. Her eyes widened. Severus shouted "portos". Sirius felt the familiar tug at his navel. Bellatrix threw two daggers in their direction. And they disappeared.
______
Sirius fell with a thump. He groaned because his landing was quite hard. He could hear the rustle of leaves around. Slowly he got up feeling dried leaves crunching under his weight. He looked around, and saw Severus lying a few feet away. But where were the others?

His heart caught in his throat as he heard Remus' panicked voice, "Sirius, Severus. It's James."

Getting up he dashed to his friends side. Remus was sitting besides James, who had a dagger in his abdomen.
                     ________________________
Am I that cruel nah. I ain't gonna kill.

Your sincerely,
YeranJ.