III: First Step

Here it is. The next chapter. Hope you like it.

I hope it's good enough.
________________________
Lily was happier than she had ever felt, looking pleased as she entered the Great Hall. Her talk with Severus had gone really well. Although Severus was guarded around her he had forgiven her.

Just like she promised Severus saw that Lily was walking into the wing. Upon seeing him awake her face broke into a huge smile and she quickly went to his bed. "How are you Sev? Are you feeling better?"

Severus was beyond happy. He was ecstatic. His friend was back. Severus couldn't believe it. Lily was worried about him.

In disbelief he said the first thing that came to his mind, "Last night wasn't a dream." Upon hearing this Lily smiled sadly remembering last night events. "No Severus, they weren't. And I wanted to say I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have thrown away your apologies like that. I should've listened."

"I called you... a horrible word Lily. It was only natural."

"It isn't. You said that to me in anger and pain. I should've forgiven you. Some friend I was. I should've understood what you were going through at that time."

Severus didn't want her to feel guilty about his mistakes. He had thought long and hard after that fateful day. At first he was angry, but a few days later that anger dissipated. All that remained was sorrow and emptiness. He just wanted his best friend back.

He was at fault. He had spent too much time with Mulciber and Avery and delved too deep into the dark arts. He lost sight of what was important. He said as much.

Lily still insisted, "I should've stood up for you. Instead I ditched you. I'm so sorry Sev. Can you ever forgive me? Can we ever be friends again? Please."

Severus was, simply speaking, shocked. Lily was asking for his forgiveness. After what he had done. This was the first time anyone had ever apologized to him.

"Lily" , he took her hand in his, "you don't have to say your sorry. I was never mad at you. You're my best friend. I am mad at myself for not having better control. I.... "

Lily cut him of mid-sentence,"Severus listen to me, and listen well. You are a person. And normal people say things they don't mean when they are angry. You are forgiven ok? I forgive you. Stop beating yourself up about it."

Hearing that Severus's lips quirked at the corner. "Yes mother. I promise not to say anything else." At that Lily laughed a small laugh. Their friendship seemed to be on the road to recovery. "So, how are you feeling?"

Hearing that Severus scowled, "Madam Pomphrey refuses to let me out of her clutches, that evil witch. She said that once she deems me healthy I'll be free from this prison."

Lily laughed once again at her friend's antics, "Good, this means she'll keep a good eye on you. Now I have to go. I'll come again after lunch. I have free classes.

"Don't give Madam Pomphrey a hard time. Who knows what she might do to you if you tick her off. Bye Sev."

oOo

Lily smiled feeling beyond happy. She felt bad for not being there for Severus when he needed her. She was going to make it up to him, she decided, her eyes alighted with determination.

"Whoa Lily what's up with you. You look ready to conquer the world." Alice, her friend and fellow Gryffindor teased her. Lily merely shrugged in response.

"Come on let's get to class you two, we have ancient runes then charms." Frank Longbottom called. Thus they picked up their bags and got ready for the busy schedule that was up ahead with Lily still planning to make everything up to Severus.