VIII: Important Information?

New chapter. Enjoy?
                ________________________
Severus woke up stretching because he had slept in the chair while reading a book. Rubbing his eyes to rid them of any remaining sleep he got up and answered the call of nature.

Christmas was just a week away and Dumbledore being as eccentric as always gave the holidays early. Severus was glad that he at least didn't have to go home during Christmas Holidays. His father was always in a horrible mood during Christmas. Scratch that. He was always in a bad mood.

While pulling on a sweater Severus thought back to the past months. His life at Hogwarts had been much better this year. The marauders didn't once prank him or seek him out in empty classrooms or corner him in the halls and humiliate him in front of the school.
Speaking of the marauders his thoughts drifted to Sirius Black. He did meet him the very next day as promised. Told him everything he asked about Regulus.

"Is he doing well?" "Is he eating properly?" "Does he have any problems in his studies?" Black sounded more like a mother than a brother and it was starting to piss Severus off a little.

After answering all his questions related to Regulus Severus had made to leave, he really did, but had once again been stopped by Black.

In a soft voice he asked, "Are-are there any- does he have signs of curses?"

Severus only nodded opting to not go into detail about how much he had observed.

At his nod all the air seemed to leave Black and he slumped down. Putting his head in his hands he started muttering. He seemed distressed, worried. Severus only looked at him curiously and with the smallest amount of sympathy. He looked up suddenly.
"Snape you have to help me. Please. Your my only chance."

Snape only looked at him dumbfounded. "What?" he almost squeaked. Almost because Severus had more control then that.

"Look you have to help me keep an eye on him. Stop him from joining the death eaters." Before Snape could say anything he continued, "I know he would never join willingly but for the family he will be stupid enough to do it. My mom and dad would convince him.

"I don't want to loose him. The death eaters aren't good people no matter what they said to make people believe them. I can't let him join."

By now Black was rambling more to himself then speaking to Severus and was obviously in distress. Severus kneeled down. He knew he was going to regret it but even he didn't want Regulus to go to the Dark when it was obvious that he wanted anything but.
Severus tentatively put a hand on the shoulder of the panicking and huddled Black. His ramblings ceased and he slowly lifted his head. Severus only repeated what he said yesterday, "I'll help."

Ever since then Severus and Sirius had been working together to keep Regulus away from other influences. Sirius made sure no other Slytherin from older years ever went near his brother by pranking them and Severus always stayed with him when they didn't have classes. Regulus didn't seem to mind so he even took Regulus to his study sessions with Lily and Remus. Regulus though, tense at first, warmed up to them after some time.

When they weren't keeping an eye on Regulus, Severus and Sirius would set up meetings to discuss about him. Severus wouldn't say they were friends, not by a long shot but there was now an understanding and camaraderie between them. Shaking his head Severus got up and went into the Great Hall.

Only a few students remained in school. Lily couldn't go because her parents had to leave for an emergency to Paris and still hadn't returned. Regulus opted not to go just like Severus. All the marauders also stayed but for what reason he didn't know. A girl from Hufflepuff was the only other person.