XI: Help From an Unexpected Source

Alright it's 'bout to E. N. D. So... Be happy!!
                   ________________________
It had been four days since they had been kidnapped, or so Remus thought. They didn't really have a concept of time in this damn cell. The light was the only indication. These days weren't peaceful though. They were prisoners after all.

Bellatrix loved to throw curses here and there. She came randomly at any time of day, and threw hexes on the four prisoners without a second thought, laughing with unadulterated glee when they screamed. The Cruciatus seemed to be her favourite and she found some perverse pleasure in torturing Sirius and Severus, making the other two watch.

Remus at those moments, would have loved nothing but to turn into a werewolf and rip out her throat. She was hurting his friends. And yet he could do nothing but watch. Today she hadn't come at all and this didn't sit well with any of them.

They had talked. A lot. Tried to figure a way out but could find nothing. They didn't have anything on them, their pockets had been emptied when they were brought here. And the floor below them was plain stone. The bars were firm. The door seemed at least four inches thick. All in all, they had concluded on their second day, they were stuck.

"Hey Severus." James called for the Slytherin's attention. James and Sirius had also started calling Severus by his first name. According to Sirius they were past the formality of last names. Severus begrudgingly agreed.

"What is it?"

"Do you think a stag would be able to break that door?" Severus looked at him as if he was crazy making Remus lightly chuckle.

"Did you finally loose it?"

"Just entertain me. Will it?"

Severus closed his eyes, obviously repressing some kind of urge, or perhaps asking from some sort of release from them, then spoke. "No, I don't think so. The door's too sturdy. Where did this question even come from?"

Severus only received a shrug in reply. Before anything could be said further, the door opened again. This time, accompanying Bellatrix, was a handsome man with platinum blonde hair, a man Remus recognized instantly. Lucius Malfoy. There were two others behind him, but they had death eater robes on so Remus couldn't tell who they were.

Lucius Malfoy's eyes lingered on all the occupants of the room, landing on Severus, whose expressions was a mix of horror and cofusion. He signalled to the two behind him and they grabbed Severus, pinning his arms behind him. The rest moved to stop them, but were once again frozen in place. Bellatrix's laugh echoed again. She tsked. "You kids just enjoy the show alright?"

Malfoy looked at Severus coldly. "Severus. I'm quite… surprised… to see you here.", he drawled, "You cannot possibly be thinking of spending time with," he looked at the other three, "these blood tritors, now can you?

"If you want, I can set you free. All you have to do is claim alliegence to the Dark Lord. You can have power, glory and even revenge." he offered, a soft, dark smile on his face.

Remus waited in anticipation. He could feel the tension in the room amd was certain it could be cut with a knife. Severus said that he no longer wanted to join the Death Eaters but would he take Malfoy's offer? Remus shook his head. 'No. He's changed. I'm sure he is.'

Severus then spoke, "As lovely as that offer sounds, I think I'll decline. I don't think I'll be cut out for it." Remus released the breath he didn't know he had held.

Malfoy's smile turned into a vicious snarl while Bellatrix shrieked obscenities. Malfoy whacked his cane into Severus' stomach, making him double over. He grabbed a fistful of his hair, ignoring Remus and co's protests, and muttered something into his ear. Remus saw Severus' eyes widen and his struggles double, not saying a single word.

Malfoy left, calling Bellatrix after him. The other two dropped Severus and went out. Remus felt movement return to his body once the door closed. He went towards Severus, who got up, gingerly clutching his stomach. "Well, that going to bruise." he heard Severus mutter.

Sirius offered him a hand which Severus took to hoist himself up. "You gonna live?"

"Of course. I have to annoy you after all."

Remus shook his head. "So what did that pompous git say to you?"

At his question Severus proceeded to reach into his pocket and pull out a note along with a key. He grinned in a way Remus had never seen him. "I believe it's time we get out of here. But first-", he opened the note and they huddled behind him to read it.

In an elegant script it read:

Severus, I've only been informed of your capture today. The Dark Lord wanted Potter and his friends because he was the son of the head auror. He will arrive today, though I do not know when. Every Death Eater will be called so I would advise you to escape then as we will be busy.

You are already aware of the room with the emergency portkeys. Take them and escape. This message will combust once the meeting starts. That is your signal to get out.

Yours truly,

Lucius.

The four looked at each other. The marauders were shocked before they broke out in a cheer, their faces filled with relief that they'll finally be able to get out. Now, they just had to wait.
______
Lucius took out a handkerchief and wiped his brow. Though his face was calm and collected, his mind was anything but. Of all the people he never expected Severus to be there. 'What was he thinking? That idiot! When had he started being a foolish Gryffindor?' and many other questions flashed through his mind.

He couldn't help but worry about him. He was one of the few Lucius truly cared about, his wife being the only other one. He still remembered when Severus was first sorted into Slytherin. The pale, skinny boy. Half-blood. Quite, keeping to himself. Yet an intelligence present quite clearly. And a genius in potions.

But that wasn't why Lucius cared for him. He cared because unlike everyone else Severus never approached him because of his title or money. Simply speaking he saw Lucius not as a Malfoy but as Lucius himself and he was the first to do so. Lucius opened his office door and sat down and steepled his fingers.

Not many people knew this, nor would he have them know, but Lucius was never an avid follower of the Dark Lord. He never enjoyed the torture of muggles. It was true he would avoid them but that was because he didn't have any need to actively seek them. Lucius absently rubbed his left arm, the one bearing that accursed mark.

How Lucius wished he never had to take the damned mark. Yet his Father more or less forced it upon him, just like all the other responsibilities and expectations that had been forced on him since he was a little boy. He could feel a steady headache grow. He hated hitting Severus but honestly he didn't think he could have given the key any other way. He just hoped Severus wasn't hurt too bad. What with his sister-in-law hovering over his head. How she and Narcissa are related will always be a mystery to him?

Which brought his thoughts to his wife. She was his light in the darkest of times. He always thought her to be his greatest treasure. Just like Severus, she didn't love the Malfoy in him and he was glad. He just hoped that he would he able to keep his wife and friend safe in this war. He vowed he would do anything in his power to keep them away from the Death Eaters.
                  ________________________
This chapter is too short ain't it? Welp enjoy.

Your sincerely,
YeranJ.