4. Mini-monster

Jeff

"No fucking way."

"Nina?!" My incredulous shout echoed with excitement when I saw that bright red bow, her jaw hanging open in equal shock that I'm sure both Thomas and I felt. I let go of my knife and caught her as she barreled straight into me, cackling like the little crazy she was while I held her tightly, tears aplenty already washing down her face.

"You're fucking with me," Thomas laughed brightly, "she sent us to Tempe for her. There's no way she didn't."

"Oh my mini-monster, how the fuck are you?!" I smiled uncontrollably as I set her back on her feet. She'd grown an inch or two and looked a little older, but other than that it was still our Nina, icy blue eyes glittering as I held her face and wiped the tears away.

"I'm fucking thrilled now that you're here," she squealed and I slapped her hand, bumping my knuckles against hers before she turned to my companion, "but you are the last person I thought I'd ever see with him! Where the hell are your eyes?!"

"Gone, I can still see you just fine though," he teased as he hugged her too. "What are you doing out here by yourself?"

"Well it's not like I exactly have to worry about Eyeless Jack and Jeff the Killer, now do I?" Nina cracked a grin and I couldn't help myself but hug her again while her giggles echoed in my ear, "is my cousin with you?"

"No, we actually came here because she sent us to you," Thomas snapped his fingers and I pulled the polaroid out of my pack to show her after I put her down.

"That's my house," she snorted as she handed it back, "why would she—? Oh—" she dropped her own backpack and pulled something out of it, handing yet another picture over to me. "Kitty left me a present for my birthday. She was here in September, but I never got to see her."

"She came here without a kill? I'm surprised," Thomas peered over to get a good look. It was Snow and Chelsea tapping the necks of beer bottles together while they grinned in the background. I flipped it over for the message and was surprised at what I found.

"Remember the promise you made me," I said aloud, absolutely clueless by what she meant. "The picture is old but that's definitely directed at me, at least I think. What promise though...?"

"Let's not figure it out here," Thomas nudged me and I stashed the photo away, "we should probably find somewhere to stay—"

"Uh, Sherlock, I'm right here," Nina butted in, "do you know how easy it is to sneak people in?"

"Are you sure you want to risk that with your crazy ass mom?" I arched an eyebrow and she nodded.

"Come on, there's no way I'm letting you sleep on the streets while you're here."

We chatted as she led the way back home, taking shortcuts through a bike trail before trotting over a hill and sliding down the dirt like she'd done it hundreds of times before. I caught sight of a small bulge in her sock, the clip of a knife sticking out and making me smile. She learned from Snow pretty damn well. Once we got to the house she stuck us by the back door before going in the front herself, the sound of voices apparent as I listened in.

"Oh, there you are! Have fun with your friends?" Her mom asked curiously.

"Yeah we put a new high score on the Pac-Man machine," Nina said with a warm laugh, lying just as smoothly as her cousin, "are you going to bed?"

"I was just waiting on you so yeah, thank you for being home early. I'm absolutely beat."

"No problem, goodnight mom, I'm probably going to make some food and do the same."