... or Freeze

It was nice to be back in your own bed, and even nicer to be sleeping next to someone again. You had fallen asleep quickly that night after staying up late to fuss over Spencer, making sure that he was okay.

You had another nightmare again. It wasn't as bad as they usually came, but you still woke up sweating and breathing heavily, startled more than anything. There was something about it that was different tonight, something that you couldn't quite place. You turned over in bed to look at Spencer through the lights of the streetlamps that peeked through the curtains. You took a moment to study him, his messy hair, his plush lips, his fluttering eyelids...

Eyes.

It was the eyes.

"Spencer! Spencer wake up!"

You shook him awake, and the second his eyes opened you were throwing your legs out of the bed, turning your lights on. You watched him squint, trying to adjust to the sudden change in light as you ran around your room, gathering clothes to change into.

"Get up! We have to go right now!"

"What? Why? It's-" he checked the clock, "-three in the morning."

You threw his clothes at him and he started, sitting up in bed to watch you run around.

"His eyes, Spencer. The fucking eyes! It's Emily, we have to go. We have to make sure she's safe. Who was she with? Who's there tonight?"

"Uhhh... JJ still, I think. What's going on?"

"Get dressed. We have to go, hurry up."

You ran across the apartment to gather your things while you dialed the phone, praying that JJ would answer. On the third ring she picked up, her voice croaky from sleep.

"Hello?"

"JJ, it's me. Wake up."

"What's wrong?" she asked, suddenly sounding more alert.

"I need you to lock the door. Nobody in, nobody out until we get there. Do you understand? Not even the doctors or nurses. Absolutely nobody."

"Yeah, I can do that. Why, though? What's going on?"

"No time. I'll explain it to you soon, I need to call everyone else. Just please, whatever you do, do not let anybody in."

"Okay. I'll see you soon."

You hung up and saw Spencer dressed in the doorway of your room, a concerned expression on his face.

"What happened?"

"The nurse, Spencer. From the elevator, remember? It's him, it's fucking him. I knew that I had seen him somewhere, he was on Emily's floor, I thought he took care of me when I was there. He fucking smiled like he knew me."

Your stomach turned.

"It was him. The tall man. I only saw his eyes through the mask but it's him, I know it is. We have to go. Right now."

-

Technically, you weren't supposed to have your gun. But you knew that Hotch wouldn't care, not at a time like this. Everyone but JJ and Emily met in the parking lot, discussing how they were going to clear all of Emily's floor. You were going to have to split up, take different corners of the floor and meet in the middle. But you had to do it discreetly without alerting the tall man or anyone else of your plans.

Slowly, so slowly, to team went up the elevator and parted ways. You took your corner deliberately and steadily, peeking into every room while resting your hand lightly on your gun.