Stay

Spencer came back with breakfast food for the both of you, along with more water. You sat up in bed, taking the plate that he offered.

"Thank you," you said softly. He sat in front of you cross-legged as the two of you ate. You put the plates on the nightstand after you were both finished. You knew you were going to have to have a tough conversation, and now seemed to be the best time to do it.

"Spencer."

He looked up and made eye contact with you.

"What do we do now?"

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"I mean... what do we tell our friends? What do we tell ourselves? We can't just... go back to normal, can we?"

"Well, that depends," he said. "What do you think we should do?"

You frowned. He was turning the question back onto you. What was he hiding?

"I asked you first."

"And?"

Okay. You weren't going to get anywhere with this line of questioning. You went to the next topic.

"So what can I do for you?"

"I don't understand what you mean."

"I mean," you gestured to the bed, "I would like to repay you for this and um.... I was just wondering what I could do to make you happy."

You flushed a little bit. This was awkward. But you couldn't stop thinking about what had just happened, and you wanted to make up for it. You felt indebted to him.

"Absolutely not," he said coldly. You were taken aback by his sudden change in tone.

"What? Why?"

He leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees to look you more closely in the eyes.

"This is not what I want for us. This is not a transactional relationship, and I won't accept sexual favors from you as a way to make up for the things I do for you."

"Isn't that what you did, though? A sexual favor?"

"I was helping out a friend," he replied smoothly. You frowned.

"You said you don't want this for us. So what do you actually want?"

"I want you to be happy."

"You're avoiding the question, Spencer. What do you want for yourself?"

He was silent for a moment.

"You really haven't figured it out, have you?"

You scoffed.

"I'm supposed to be a mind reader now?"

It was escalating. You knew if you weren't careful this could turn into another fight, and you had a feeling it would be a big one. You were tired, you were done fighting with him all of the time. You wished it could be black and white, you wished his behavior was consistent so you didn't feel the need to overananlyze things. He just made it so complicated for no reason.

"You're an actual profiler for the FBI. Either you can't see what's right in front of you or you're so in denial that you refuse to look. I don't know how much longer I can do this, Y/N. I really don't."

He sighed, running his fingers through his hair. What the hell was that supposed to mean? Your anger started to flare but you pushed it back down. You needed to stay calm for this.

"Do what? Fight all the time? Spencer, I just want to understand what you're thinking, what you're feeling. You won't tell me and I don't understand."