"I'm right here"

You were a fucking coward. Reid was right, and you both knew it.

You hadn't had a significant other in years. You didn't have friends or family that you spent a lot of time with. You were alone because of your emotional unavailability. You felt vulnerable at times, but that didn't really count in the grand scheme of things. And just like you couldn't confront others, you couldn't even confront yourself.

It wasn't that you weren't a desirable romantic option; it's that you never gave anyone the chance to even look at you. It wasn't that you weren't a good friend; it's that you never let anyone get close enough to figure that out. You were stuck in the complacency of your everyday life. So when Spencer decided to shatter your complacency, it excited you because it gave you something to think about, something to look forward to.

Now you were stuck, not sure of what to do. The two of you had been playing games, but it got too real and now you didn't know what to do. You could bow out and continue to be complacent, or play into his hands and change. It was a terrifying choice, one that you weren't ready to make. You were ashamed of how you decided to just go about your business and pretend that nothing had happened.

The case went on as usual. The unsub had barred himself inside of an abandoned warehouse, or at least the team thought he did. You all sped there in the fleet of SUVs, hoping to catch him before he had time to terrorize anyone else. The maze-like structure had the team splitting up into small groups, quietly navigating the building so as not to raise alarm. Eventually it was just you and Spencer. A fork in the hallway led to two entrances of a main room; one door on the left and the other on the right. You and Spencer would have to split up. Running on pure adrenaline, the two of you looked at each other and nodded silently before going your separate ways.

The large room was mostly empty. The big machinery had been cleared out. It was just a windowless, concrete room illuminated by outdated electric lights. You stepped forward into the room and looked around for any sight of movement. You heard Spencer on your right and turned to ask if he saw anything. Except the person standing there wasn't Spencer.

You yelped in fear, recognizing the face of the unsub, Daniel. You knew that you could probably de-escalate the situation, except that he had a knife in his hand. You backed up and opened your mouth to speak. Before you got the chance, he dashed to you so fast that you could barely react. You gripped your gun and prepared to shoot, but he knocked your gun from your hands and grabbed at your hair, throwing you into the nearby wall head first. Dazed, you fell to the ground, waiting for the next hit that never came. The world spun and you couldn't see anything but stars, feeling nauseous.

When you could finally focus, you almost screamed. Spencer was on his back, Daniel on top of him. Daniel held his forearm over Spencer's neck, crushing his windpipe. Spencer had taken quite a few punches, his face and mouth bloody. He was fighting Daniel pretty well, but you knew he wouldn't last long if he couldn't breathe. Your training kicked in and you lunged towards Spencer's gun on the ground in front of you. His must have gotten knocked out of his hands too.

You struggled to your feet and took the shot.

-

Spencer's POV

Bang.

Headshot. Daniel slumped down almost immediately, and Spencer rolled to the side so as not to be crushed by the now dead weight. He turned to see you standing above him about 15 feet away holding his gun, looking shocked and breathing shallowly. He watched as shock turned to confusion on your face as you slowly reached down to your torso. You were wearing all black so Spencer didn't see it until you drew your hand away.

Your hand was covered in blood. Horrified, Spencer locked eyes with you and could see your eyes were full of fear. He scrambled up to get to you right as you fell to your knees.

"Hey, hey it's okay! I've got you," he said shakily, falling to his knees beside you. He pressed the button for his earpiece, frantically asking the team for help before focusing back on you.

"I'm going to need you to lay down, okay? Just to make sure you're safe, alright?" You nodded and he guided you down, resting your head on the concrete as lightly as he could.

"I'm going to apply pressure on the wound. It's going to hurt." He untucked your shirt and pulled it up as far as he could with the vest you were wearing. Oh god, there was a lot of blood. It looked like there were only two stab wounds relatively close to each other. He took a deep breath and pressed his shaking hands as hard as he could into your side to try to stop the bleeding. You cried out and he looked down at your face, watching the tears form in your eyes as you grabbed at his wrists.

"Spencer, it hurts!"

It was so heartbreaking to hear the pain in your voice. God, where was the team? They must have heard the gunshots and they had replied to his call for help over the headset but they still weren't here yet. He was starting to panic.

"Yes, I know. It's going to be alright. Everything is gonna be okay, I'm right here for you." Your grip loosened on his wrists as your eyelids started to flutter. Oh no.

"Y/N, look at me, okay? Look at me, I'm right here. I need you to hold on for me, okay? Can you try to stay awake for me? Let's talk about something. Tell me about that new album you were listening to on the plane."

"It hurts," you whispered. Spencer's hands were slippery from the blood, and it was such an awkward position that he had to keep rearranging his hands to keep your wounds closed. He could hear the team running towards you in the distance. Just a little bit longer.

"Yes, I know. I know. They're almost here, you're going to be alright. Just hang on, I've got you."

Your eyes started to become unfocused and as much as Spencer tried to grab your attention, it wasn't enough. He couldn't do anything but watch as you drifted into unconsciousness.

-

Thankfully, the paramedics had the supplies to patch you up, but only temporarily. They still needed to rush you to the hospital, and Spencer thought it was only right that he rode in the ambulance with you. The team had protested, insisting that he stay back and get treated for his own injuries, but he waved them away. The cuts were superficial, and the paramedics could handle it on the way to the hospital.

The ride over was agonizing to say the least. The ambulance wasn't moving fast enough, even with the sirens. The good news is that most of your external bleeding had stopped, and you were drifting in and out of consciousness. The bad news was that every time you were out, all he could do was stare at the bloodstains on the knees of his pants and your blood under his fingernails.

Your eyes started to open again and he leaned forward so that you would see a familiar face. The first few times you had come back into consciousness you had struggled and bled harder.

"Hey, I'm right here."

Your eyes fixated on him and he tried so hard to smile for you, trying to convince you that you were going to be okay. He was sure it looked more like a grimace. He saw that you were trying to move and gently set his hand on your shoulder.

"Stay still. We're almost there." He had no idea how much longer this ride would take.

Despite his protests, you brought your hand up to caress the side of his face, your thumb resting lightly on the cut he had received right below his eye. He felt your finger gently trace the dried blood there, and then you concernedly met his gaze.

"Does it hurt?"

He had to laugh. You were bleeding out in an ambulance from multiple stab wounds, and you were asking him if he was okay.

"No, not at all," he said. He saw that your eyes were starting to close again and gently guided your hand back down to your side. "Just rest for a moment, okay? I'm right here."