The Files

Hey, Y/N! It's Emily. Hope you got home safely. Text if you need anything!

You smiled at your phone as you rolled over in bed. How sweet of Emily to check on you.

Thanks, Em! Feeling much better today. I'll see you soon :)

You decided to get out of bed and get to work early. Leaving early the day before created extra work for you, and you really didn't feel like staying late today to finish it.

Thinking of yesterday... You felt bad for what you had said to Spencer. He certainly didn't deserve it. Your stomach twisted into knots, thinking about how you were going to have to see him and apologize to him later today. You practiced what you were going to say to Spencer in the car. Part of you wondered if maybe you could just pretend it didn't happen, but the more you thought about it, the more dread you felt. Your guilty conscience couldn't let you live like this, even if you didn't like Spencer to begin with.

You didn't see him walk in this morning, so when you turned from the coffee pot to go back to your desk, you jumped when you saw him standing right behind you.

"Oh!" you gasped, heart pounding. "Hey, Reid! Sorry I'm in your way, I didn't see you come in."

He just pursed his lips and raised his eyebrows in acknowledgement of you. Okay...

You took a deep breath, ready to start your apology when he opened his mouth to speak.

"Are you almost done? I have something to do and you're kind of in my way."

You could hear the impatience in his voice, and the frosty demeanor beneath it. So that's how it was going to be.

"Yeah, sure," you replied, moving out of his way. You continued to stand there awkwardly as he made his coffee, trying to think of the best way to broach the subject.

"Hey, Spencer. About yesterday-"

Reid set his coffee cup down loudly, sighing. It caught you so off guard that you paused in the middle of your speech. Your temper flared. Here you were, trying to apologize and he was interrupting you.

"I'm sorry, is there a problem?" you asked. Maybe it was the way that you said it. You knew that sometimes you could be a little too confrontational. You had a tendency to lose your patience a little too quickly. Either way, Spencer looked down at you with a cold look in his eyes.

"Sorry. Guess I was getting a little too tired listening to you." He snatched his cup off of the counter and stalked off, leaving you all alone with your mouth wide open.

How dare he! You were literally just trying to apologize and he decided to twist your apology into an insult to you.

But as mad as you were about it, it was almost gratifying to hear him this way. You knew you were right about him.

-

"Oh my god, Pen! You can't say that!" you laughed. She whirled around in her chair to look at you before bursting into laughter herself.

"Okay, but you know I'm right!"

"Whether or not you're right, you still can't make generalizations like that!" You smiled and then happened to notice the time on the bottom side of one of her computer screens.

"Okay well as fun as this is, I'm gonna have to go back to my desk. I have stuff I have to take care of since I left early yesterday."

"Oh I heard about that!" she exclaimed. "Emily said it was a migraine. Are you feeling okay?"

You waved off her worry as you gathered your files and started to walk out of her office.

"Yeah, I'm okay! They're not usually that bad honestly. Just a one-off I think. Anyways, I gotta get back. I'll see you later!"

You were looking over your shoulder at her when you ran full speed into someone else entering her office. Your case files fell to the floor with a thunk, loose papers flying as you bounced backward into the doorframe, jamming your shoulder on the edge as someone else grabbed your arms to steady you.

"Ouch! Fuck! Sorry! Are you okay?" The words poured out of your mouth so quickly that you didn't even realize who you had bumped into. Dr. Spencer Reid.

"Yes, I'm okay. Are you?"

"Yeah, I'm okay." You clammed up quickly, dropping to the floor to pick up your files. You realized there were a lot more on the floor than what you had in your hands. Some of these were his. Your face burned as he crouched down to help you, his hands occasionally bumping into yours as the two of you quickly sorted through everything silently.

"Sorry again," you muttered as you scampered off with your files. He nodded at you as he went to enter Penelope's office.

-

It wasn't until much later that you realized in annoyance that you had accidentally picked up some of Spencer's papers. They had gotten mixed into your files so you had to go through everything and double check that it belonged to that specific file. After putting them in a nice stack, you looked up to see if he was at his desk so you could hand them to him. His bag was gone, so he was probably gone for the day. Oh, well. On your way out of the office you set them on his desk, neatly paperclipped.

-

Hey Y/N, it's Spencer. I got your number from Emily. I'm missing some papers from my files and I think you have them

Yeah I put them on your desk

Okay, I just needed them to finish my work tonight

Well they're on your desk

Why didn't you give them to me earlier?

I didn't realize until later. I had to go through all of my case files to dig your papers out of them

Thanks for that. Guess I'll have to go back to the office tonight to get them

Yeah I guess so. Maybe next time consider using paperclips