The Roof

Deep down, you knew that it was wrong to antagonize Spencer. You don't normally pick fights, either. You're just not that type of person. But they way he had interrupted you and been so cold? It gave you a reason to dislike him even more than you already did. You could see that you were pushing his buttons, irritating him more and more with each passing day. And as wrong as you knew it was, you couldn't help wondering how far you could take it before he snapped.

Were you plotting things to do to him just because you were bored? Maybe. Perhaps it was some sort of manifestation, or just cruel fate, but the more that you thought about Spencer, the more you started to notice him. He was around the office a lot more than normal, he was almost always in the kitchen or break room when you were there, he was hogging Penelope's office. It's like he knew that they were your safe spaces and decided to invade them. You hadn't had any decent girl chat with Penelope for the past two weeks because he always seemed to be there first or he would stumble upon you while you were there, making everything tense.

That being said, the deprivation of your girl time with Penelope was being made up by your blooming friendship with Emily. She had taken you to a casino and taught you some poker tips, and you guys had even hung out at your apartment once, sipping on some wine while watching a movie. You had started to open up to each other, but not too much. You mostly talked about books, movies, or hobbies. You hadn't told anyone about your problems with Spencer. You thought you had hidden it well until Penelope brought it up one day while you were delivering something to her office.

"So I have to ask," she said, spinning in her chair to face you. "What is going on between you and the good doctor?"

"You mean Spencer? Nothing at all. Why?"

She quirked an eyebrow at you.

"Well it's just that every time you run into each other it gets colder than the Arctic Circle in here. You act totally different when he's here, too. Did something happen?"

You took a deep breath. You could confide in your friend, or you could keep this professional and stay quiet about it. You knew Spencer and Penny were friends. She may say something to him about your response, if she hadn't already asked him about it. You didn't think so, but she was most likely biased towards him anyways. You knew how close they were.

"We just have some... disagreements with each other. It's not a problem, we just don't really get along. To be quite honest, I think-"

You were interrupted by a sharp knock on the door. Who else could it be but the doctor, coming to disrupt your girl time. You blushed lightly. How much did he hear? You weren't about to stick around to find out. He entered the office as you turned to look at Penelope, slightly flustered. She had an almost deer-in-the-headlights look, but tried to tone it down before he noticed.

Then it struck you. Just like you had been purposely messing with him, he had been doing the same to you. You had just been doing small things like leaving random paperclips on his desk or putting small pieces of trash right next to his trashcan rather than in it so he would have to pick it up. You'd also been moving his coffee mug around in the cabinet. He always put it in the same place so you had just been shifting it around every now and again to mess with him.

However, Spencer was engaging in psychological warfare. He knew that Penny was a very close friend of yours, he knew what places you enjoyed most at work. You were generally non-confrontational so whenever he showed up somewhere you would leave before you had to interact with him. But that's what he wanted. He wanted you to feel uncomfortable, he wanted you to feel like you were cut off from your friends, like you had nowhere at work to get a reprieve from him except when he was gone. That bastard.