114°

Chris' POV.

—Sara, Sara, I can't. We need to, I can't -I say desperate as I feel a panic attack storming in-

She furrows her eyebrows and walks closer to me. We had been playing UNO to pass the time as we speak talk about ideas for the proposal when I got a call.

—What's the matter, Chris? Are you alright?

I desperately shake my head, adrenaline rushing through my body, my heart rate developing a tachycardia, I can feel my shaky cold hands as the tears form in my eyes.

—Okay, okay. Breath, it's alright, it's gonna be alright, but look at me and let's breath together

I do as she says, or at least I try, but I can't continue to do anything when I realise we're wasting our time.

—No, no. We have to get out of here -I say and leave her alone at the living room as I start to look for the car keys-

Fucking me who always forgets to put the keys in its place. Sara follows me around trying to get an explanation or at least, calm me down, but it's exasperating. I turn around and connect with my daughter's blue eyes, she smiles at me and I feel my heart sink, gaining some courage I know I needed, but I didn't think looking at my daughter would succeed.

—I got a call from who knows who, Gabriela got in a car accident and is at Massachussets General Hospital. We need to get there immediately.

Her eyes widen and start to fill with tears. Elle curiously looks at her and touches her face when the first tear ran down her cheek.

I couldn't waste any more time, I left her standing there and keep on looking for the keys – then a sudden thought came to my mind, to check my pockets. And stupidly, they're there... But I guess when you're nervous.

—Is it bad? -I hear Sara from behind me-

—I don't know, they didn't disclose anything, they just said I'm her emergency contact and that she's there. We need to get going now!

She doesn't say anything else, simply follows me to the SUV. No words throughout the way there, all I could hear is the pouring rain hitting the car's roof and Elle's giggles and coos—then I feel bad for Elle, and guilty, because she's so little she doesn't need to be in the middle of these stressful situations, even though it's not our fault... Nor choice.

Having to stop at the red lights probably has been the most fucking stressful thing ever. I just want to get there and see my girlfriend, hold her hand and letting her know everything's gonna be alright. The light turns green and I waste no time. The arrival to the hospital and having to find a parking spot is just a fucking torture, whatever's going on right now that delays us is a fucking torture.

Sara holds Elle again as I -almost- run to the entrance, I find a reception with around 5 women, some gasp, some frown and some raise their eyebrows when they see me. Questions is the least I need right now.

—Hi, I was told my girlfriend is here, I'm looking for her. Her name is Gabriela Montero.

One of them starts looking at the screen of a computer as she types something, while the others won't take their eyes off me. Sara appears with my daughter beside me and I suddenly remember I'm with them.

—Yeah, she was admitted in emergency not too long ago, trauma. That's on the fifth floor, the elevator is on the left but you couldn't -I don't even let her finish-

—Thank you -I say and I start jogging to the elevator, Sara following me quickly-

I press the button eagerly and look at Sara for a brief moment, she has no expression whatsoever, meanwhile Elle is just curiously looking everywhere. The elevators' doors open up and we quickly get in, pressing the 5, and just like the entrance, when we arrive, we find the reception with other nurses. The same thing happened.