2 - Strong rum

🎶Hurts Like Hell - Fleurie🎶

"Skylar Myers, I'll be damned. You finally decided to show up again." I hear a female voice say. I turn around to meet eyes with Lola, one of the owners of this restaurant. She and Freddie, her husband, own it and we've been regular customers ever since my friends and I were able to pay for our own food.

"Lola, how have you been." I laugh as I stand up from my seat, letting her pull me in for a hug. When we both pull back, she smiles. "I"ve been good. God, how long has it been? A good 6 years I reckon." I nod as I sit back down.

"I can still remember the day these three came back together for the first time again after you guys all left for college. And you never showed up." She shakes her head laughing. "What can I say, I've been busy." I excuse my behavior and she nods, luckily believing my excuse.

"Okay good, what can I get y'all. You three the regular I take?" She looks at everybody else and they all nod. Then Lola looks at me again and narrows her eyes. "I'm trying to remember your regular..." She keeps looking at me, making me chuckle. "You still got the scrambled eggs with avocado?" I ask and she nods with a bright smile.

"Right! The avocados. Coming right up darling." She says and with that, she's off. The four of us laugh at the encounter. We came here almost daily back in the day, even if it was just for icecream or something else to drink. We were always crazy about this place.

While we're waiting for our food, we catch up on almost everything. Relationships, family, the town, jobs.

Rachel turns to me. "Sky, what is it that you do again?"

"I'm a writer and journalist. It pays really well actually. I can afford flying here in first class." I tell her and she nods. "Yes! I read your latest article about Europe's future. I'm not the scientist type but that was so interesting." Abby smiles at me and I return it. I appreciate that she reads my stuff.

"Wait, so you're like rich?" Caily asks me and I laugh. "Not rich but I have a comfortable income which allows me to do fun stuff in my spare time,"

"So you could move back home?" Caily looks at me with hopeful eyes. Fuck. "No. I mean, I could but I'm happy in New Haven. And part of why I'm comfortable is because I live with a roommate. That way I safe money on rent and can put it into something else." I explain and she nods.

"But you're still single, so obviously New Haven isn't offering you everything you need." Abby cuts in. "Well, my job allows me to work from home so I don't get out a lot. I only party a few times a month, I don't go further than a one-night stand. Meeting a guy drunk in the club is not the way I want to meet my future husband." It's silent for a few seconds.

"Well then, there is a party tonight at the beach. Most of the people from the high school reunion will already be there. You should come. It's kind of like a bonfire." Rachel kind of tries to change the subject again. "Okay when?"

"After dinnertime, so between 7 and 8." Rachel answers. "I could pick you up. Are you staying with your parents?" Caily asks and I shake my head. "No, I'm renting an apartment right now. I'll text you the address."

☼☼☼

I had dinner with my parents. They were surprised by the way I look now but they were happy to see me again. Now it's almost 8 and Caily is about to pick me up. The sky is already getting a light orange color. I'm excited to see the sunset on the beach here again. I remember them being so beautiful. I'm wearing the same outfit as this afternoon. Only I added my grey hoodie because after the sun disappears it'll be a lot more chilly.

Then I hear someone honking outside of the apartment. I quickly grab my purse and head out. Caily is waiting in her baby blue convertible jeep. In the passenger seat is sitting none other than Ryker. He steps out and embraces me in a hug.