5 - High school drama

🎶Lose Somebody - Kygo, OneRepublic🎶

I'm wearing a cute short red floral dress for the reunion today. I'm excited to see everybody again, even though I saw most of them yesterday. It will also be crazy to walk into my old high school again. I haven't walked through those halls in six years. That'll be weird. 

I look in the mirror and smile at myself. My hangover is completely gone, thank the lord. Now there's just hoping that tonight will not be awkward with Enzo. I'm not in the goddamn mood for that. 

I let out a breath, grab my purse, and I'm out the door. Once again I'm walking. I like to walk through the city I guess. It's small anyway and a twenty-minute walk isn't that long. I'm staying on the upper south side and our old high school is on the lower north side of the city. It's really close. 

As I can slowly see my old high school appear I can also see the ocean. I always loved how our school was so close to the ocean. Sometimes we'd have gym class on the beach, biology, or some other classes on a hot day. Sometimes we'd spend our lunchtime at the beach. It was a minute walk, what did you expect? 

A smile plays on my lips as I enter the school grounds and think back on the memories that we made here. They're good memories, almost all of them are.

I walk inside the school and pause for a moment. The main hallway is completely empty. Everybody is probably already in the gymnasium. Before the lockers start on both sides of the walls there are first the trophy cases on both sides of the walls. It looked like we had a lot of them and we did. The trick is to save every trophy this school ever won for the past hundred years. 

I walk towards the right trophy case and look inside it. 

There is one, really big golden trophy. We won that. Well, not we, but our football team that year did. 

It was senior year and all the boyfriends from our friend group were on the team. We weren't cheerleaders, we liked cheering our boys on from the crowd while wearing their jerseys. But that day we stole cheerleading outfits after the game. A somewhat close friend of mine that was in the cheer squad had given us 4 cheerleading outfits. 

We sneaked onto the field so we could join the group picture together with the football players and the cheerleaders. Winning that game was a big deal and we knew that. We wanted to be in the picture with them, they wanted the same. 

The picture is still framed next to the trophy. You can spot the eight of us right in the middle. All of us wearing a big and genuine laugh on our faces. While some others neatly posed for the picture, we were a moving mess. Not even being able to stop laughing for one moment. 

I remember that Enzo all of the sudden picked me up and held me in the bridal position. That was it for me and I couldn't stop giggling after that. Luckily we weren't the only ones standing out in the picture. There are multiple other players with cheerleaders that were also having fun. 

Enzo had made the winning goal, making him the hero of the night. He was the quarterback of the team, he was amazing. And I was his girl. We always joked about how I should've been the head cheerleader but I didn't like cheer. It just wasn't my thing. 

I remember the rivalry we had with the high school of Baywood-Los Osos. The city across from ours. It was bigger and had more stuff than us but that didn't bother us. The hate between those schools was so strong that it probably still exists to this day. I think we might've even egged their school once. 

That day we won against another team but we played against them a lot. Jeez, this picture is bringing back many memories. It's a good picture though, with a good memory behind it.