Engaged

Heeya peeps!!

Enjoy reading!

We all are here to take care of her. Let’s think wisely and handle things well. I will leave the decision to you.’

  ‘I will talk to the doctors and then make my decision.’

  I went to the doctor’s chamber. There was a lady doctor whom I had sometimes seen diagnosing avni. She was part of the team handling her case.

  ‘Ma’am, can I talk to you for a while?’

  ‘Yes.’ And before I could walk up to her desk, she asked, ‘You are from the family of the patient on bed number 300, right?’

  ‘Uh … Yes, Ma’am.’

  ‘Tell me.’

  ‘Ma’am, due to certain reasons my family wants me back for a short time. My mom needs me and I have to bring her here along with me. As I’m not mentally prepared to do this, I want your suggestion.’ I was silent for a moment, then added, ‘You understand what I mean?’

  ‘I do,’ she said and asked me, ‘May I know your relation to the patient?’

  ‘She is my fiancée.’

  ‘Oh, I thought you were family.’

  ‘By now, I am a member of her family,’ I said very clearly.
She looked at me for a while and then looked at my hands
Just two days before our engagement, she met with this accident.

  It’s just the ring that’s left, otherwise she is my fiancée,’ I clarified for her as she looked for the ring on my finger.

  She looked aside and thought for a while, then turned back to me, smiling with affection, and said, ‘Thank you.’

  ‘Sorry?’ I wondered what she meant.

  ‘You know, her face, her brain and her entire body have suffered so much damage …’

  ‘Yes, I know.’

  ‘We are trying our best, but there is no guarantee that, for the rest of her life, she will be as beautiful as she was before. You know that too?’

  ‘Yes, I know.’
Yes, I know.’

  ‘That you are standing by her, knowing all this, is what made me thank you … In my profession, I have seen several instances where the girls’ in-laws tend to break things up with them at the earliest. Being a woman, I understand how much that girl and her family need your support. And more than that I understand how much you love her.’

  I was silent for a while. Then, in a shaking voice, I asked her, ‘Can you save my love?’

  ‘God will help us all to save your love.’ She put her hand on my shoulder, trying to comfort me and raise my hopes.
Then I asked her what I had come to ask her. I explained the condition back home and asked if I should go back to get my mom. ‘I am not sure what I should do. I don’t want to leave avni here in this condition to get my mom.’

  ‘Listen. She is going to need you the most when she opens her eyes. And, with God’s grace, if everything goes fine, it will still take four or five days.’

  ‘Four or five days?’

  ‘Yes. Till then, she will be on sedatives. So it’s better that you go back and do whatever needs to be done, so that you can come back at the right time. I can understand your mom’s state too and I would advice you to go back home, meet your mother and then bring her here.’
Hearing her answer, I made up my mind to go back to my parents and then return to Delhi by the next week.