Fight for our love?

Love isn't just a bed of roses, it's also a bed of thorns. It can be something beautiful yet also something painful...Is it worth to fight for love?

Kara sat in her office and looked at the framed picture of her wife and twin daughters, Kayla Leilani Luthor-Danvers and Layla Keilani Luthor-Danvers. She just wished that it would finally get better...That everyone would be happy and that nobody would suffer. "Why are you still here, Kara?" Nia asked and interrupted Kara's thoughts. "Nia, hey. You're still here?" Kara asked her friend, and tried to mask her pain, which she failed to hide. "I was about to go home, but  I saw you sitting here just staring at the picture...With a frown on your face." Nia said and was worried. "Are you okay? With everything that's going on with...Kara you don't have to come to work." The young heroine said and laid her hand on Kara's shoulder, giving the older heroine a sad look. Kara looked onto the floor and was on the verge of crying. "I-I know, I just...I feel useless by just sitting at home, while Lena is down in her lab trying to find the...The cure for little Kayla." Kara sighed in defeat and wiped a tear away. Nia  gave a sad smile. "Still no progress?" Nia asked hesitantly, afraid that she has brought more pain to Kara. "None..." Whispered Kara. She felt so powerless and...Hopeless. "But how is little Kayla?...I-is she in any pain?" Nia asked, worried of the little one. "No, no...Kayla is in no pain. Lena checks every hour for any sign of unease or pain. She makes sure our daughter is happy, like spending time with her sister Layla. She does everything she can to find a cure for her illness...While all I can do is watch and hold her, as if she would disappear..." Kara felt so weak, even though she is the strongest person on Earth, she felt so helpless.

"Alex told me she had some kind of s-seizure this morning?" Nia asked. She herself was shocked when she heard the news that Kayla had a seizure, something they never expected. "Yeah, It...It just happened and if Alex wasn't with me at that moment I...I don't think I would've known how to help her. For the first time in my life I felt frozen...I couldn't move a single muscle. I was just standing there in shock, while I had Layla in my arms who had fear written all over her face...It was horrible, so horrible." Kara let her tears out and Nia gave her a supporting hug. "Lena didn't think this type of cancer would make Kayla get seizures but...It happened and we almost lost her, Nia." Kara said in defeat, she sounded so defeated and brought to the ground. "And we're even more worried, because it could be that Layla has also the same cancer...That's why Lena is also running tests  on her...I know I should keep hoping and believe in Lena, but-" Kara got interrupted by Nia, because this was not the time to lose any hope, especially now. "Kara Luthor-Danvers don't you dare lose hope. Now Kara, more than ever  you need to have a faith in Lena and her ability to cure Kayla." Nia said sternly and tried to keep Kara's hope up. Kara sighed in defeat, as if she were thinking if it was still worth for hope. "Hope? Faith? You think I'm not trying? Lena won't talk to me, she won't let me comfort her even though she is hurting. My daughter has cancer that has nor cure nor treatment, my other daughter has to see her sister in pain, and I see how my family is falling apart...How can you expect that I still have hope?" Kara reasoned and looked into Nia's eyes. The young brunette just saw pure pain in the blonde's eyes...Hope that was being crushed, like Kara was on the verge of losing faith.

After some time of deep thoughts, Kara decided to go to  Lena, just to check up on her wife and daughter. "Hey! Sorry that I didn't call first. I came here straight from CatCo." Kara greeted and gave a smile, trying to bring some light into the darkness...But she did miss the usual kisses and hugs. "It's alright...I suppose." Lena said with no hope or love in her voice, just pain. Lena was pouring a glass of whiskey and Kara was sure that was not the first glass today. "Baby, you know I don't like when you drink a lot." Kara complained and Lena seemed not to care. "Skip the lecturing and tell me what you want. I need to go to the lab tonight." Lena sternly said and downed another glass of whiskey. "Right, sorry...I-I was wondering if you were actually free tonight. I want to talk to you about something and...And maybe we could spend some time together, just the two of us." Kara said nervously and fiddled with her fingers. It was silent for a moment and Lena took a deep breath. "There are more important things, Kara." Lena said coldly and was pouring another glass. "I-I know, but I checked with Alex and she was more than happy to take care of Kayla and Layla tonight." Kara stated and had hope that Lena would agree...But soon failed. "I doubt Alex is ready to wake up every hour and check on Kayla, plus she has Layla to take care too. Not to mention Alex is always needed at the DEO." Lena reasoned and had a good point. She knew Alex could do it, but right now was just not the time for dates.

"You know she's okay with that, Lena...And I thought it'd be okay for tonight, because I want to talk to you...I-" Kara was again interrupted, but this time by Lena. "Go on Kara, I'm listening but be quick-" This time Lena as cut off by Kara: "I trust you." Kara said and gave a hint of hope into her words. "What?" Lena asked in disbelief and confusion. "I trust you and believe in you. I know you'll find the solution to Kayla's illness and-" But all hope was gone when Lena interrupted Kara, once again. "You know, if you told me that months ago...I would have believed you." Lena said and looked Kara dead in the eyes, while swirling her glass of scotch. "W-what do you mean?" Kara asked confused and scared...Maybe all hope is truly gone. "It's simple, if you said those words earlier instead of doubting me maybe I-" This time Kara had to speak: "No Lena, I never have doubted in you. Maybe when we found out about Kayla has cancer, but it was only for a moment a-and we were both devastated-." And then came five words that Kata never wished to hear: "I want a divorce, Kara."

Kara just felt like her heart has been ripped out of her. "D-divorce? L-Lena you can't be serious right now." Kara said in pure pain. "I am dead serious, Kara." Lena said coldly, her face showing no emotion. "But why? Am I such a bad wife...That you want a divorce when one of our children is sick, while the other has to see their sibling suffering?" Kara said and tears started to build on the edge of her eyes. She was deeply hurt, never in her life would she want to divorce Lena, especially when they have kids. "I'm tired of waiting for you. I'm tired of constantly being looked down on." Lena stated and gritted her teeth, but she herself had tears in her eyes. "I know, and I'm sorry that it took me so long to say it out loud, but Lena...I've never underestimated you in any way. I-I just felt...I felt so lost." Kara said and let a tear slip out, she just looked into Lena's eyes and all Lena could see was hurt and pain...Something she hates to see in her wife's eyes.

"Two years ago, you used to say that I felt like home to you. Why didn't you come then? I'll admit, I pushed you away several times, but at that time I needed to be alone and sort some things in my head...About our daughter mostly." Lena admitted and cocked an eyebrow, ready to hear Kara's facts. "Lena...When I married you, I promised you forever. You always have and always will be my home. Someone I will always come back to." Kara said those words with love and truth, because it's true...No matter what, her home was Lena and always will be.

The tension in the room was just getting thicker and none of them liked it. "Then why is our forever coming to an end, darling?" Lena asked and wondered what the answer would be. Kara looked into her wife's eyes, the same eyes she fell in love with, but this time only saw pain and sadness. "Because you're the one not wanting to fight for us anymore. As cruel and as selfish it sounds...It's the truth. You're the one who wants this divorce Lena, not me. I'm not going to give up on you, on us...I'll never ever give up." Kara said those words laced with truth and pain...It was painful for the both of them. As Lena heard those words, her facial expression turned to anger. "Leave, I don't want to speak with you right now." Lena said sternly, her anger was clear in her voice. Kara gave a sad smile before saying: "Of course, I just...I though you'd fight for our love in the end."

And with that, Kara left Lena alone...But the very last words she heard from Lena was: "What have I done?"

To be continued...