Chapter 7 - For the First Time in Forever(I)

Three years had passed since the passing of King Agnarr and Queen Iduna. Princess Elsa, now at the age of 21, is ready to be crowned as Arrendelle's new Queen regnant.

It was the reason why (Y/N) had to wake up earlier than usual. He had to prepare the princess' clothes, bath, and anything else they may need to get ready for the momentous occasion. It was a day the kingdom had been waiting in hope for since the tragic death of King Agnarr and Queen Iduna; this is coronation day the day when Princess Elsa, becomes the queen and ruler of Arendelle.

As the young butler stood in front of Princess Elsa's door, he hesitated for a moment. He knew he shouldn't be so worried about the coronation, but Princess Elsa has locked herself away for so long, even he doesn't know if she can even be presented to the kingdom again.

Nevertheless, the butler takes a deep breath and lest it out slowly as he knocks on the elder princess's door.

"Come in," with that, (Y/N) opens the door slowly.

"Milady? I'm here to help you dress for your coronation this morning,"

The princess is seen standing by the open window, looking out at the rooftops of Arendelle, and the mountains beyond. She doesn't turn around, but (Y/N) can see that her hair has grown quite long, it still hold's it's gorgeous coloring, pale with strands of gold interwoven.

The elder princess seemed to lost in her thoughts, so (Y/N) took the initiative to go to her wardrobe, picking out items that he had been told earlier were made in preparation for the coronation. A long teal gown with traditional embroidery, a pair of gloves, shoes and her purple cape with details similar to the ones on the dress.

"Alright, (Y/N), the clothes are in the-," she turns and faces her butler, but seeing that he already has everything out, she stops herself and walks towards him. She's much taller than she used to be and now almost the same height as him, if not taller.

"Would you like me to help you into your gown milady?"

It was a rhetorical question, but (Y/N) felt like she might actually say no. Her expression looks, sad, and almost broken, like someone has broken her favorite toy, but she's an adult and no longer plays with her toys.

"Yes," she says with a sigh, her eyes wandering to the garments in her butler's arms.

The butler averts his eyes for a moment as the princess undresses from her nightgown and puts on a black long-sleeved turtleneck blouse with red and teal crystal-shaped prints on it. After that, (Y/N) helps her into her teal gown and handed her the gloves. She slipped them on with ease, and then picks up the shoes from the bed, sitting down in the chair to her vanity and slipping each one on with grace and delicacy; before turning around in the chair to face the vanity mirror, with a somber expression.

"How would you like your hair done today, milady?"

(Y/N) can't help but stare at her through the mirror, her eyes are the same striking blue as when they were children, but something is
hiding their sparkle with a dark cloud of gloom.

"Just put it up, I don't care as long as it doesn't take long, I have other things to attend to." As soon as he noticed the harsh tone she had uttered to her butler, whom she she had considered her only friend for the past 13 years, she corrected herself. "I-I'm sorry, (Y/N). I didn't mean for that one to come out harsh."

The butler just shook his head and smiled at her. "It's alright, princess. I understand that you have a lot of things going on in your head right now, especially now that you are going to be crowned Queen in just a few more hours."

"That's now what I meant." Elsa shook her head. "You've been the only friend I had ever since we were children. Friends don't treat each other harshly... And I don't want you to chase you away because of it."

"Well, I'm not going anywhere anytime soon." he chuckles as he began to brush her hair. Elsa closed her eyes and seemed to meditate in thought as he brushed every curl into place then braided her hair, and put it into a bun with a blue ribbon tying it together.

The butler then moved in front of her and began to gather the makeup, maroon lips, purple eyeshadow to compliment her eyes and dress. As (Y/N) puts the makeup on her face, he made a mental note to thank Gerda later as she was the who thought him.

And whilst (Y/N) was putting the make up, he noticed the freckles that covered her nose and cheeks; one thing she has in common with her sister are the beautiful freckles that can only be seen when in close quarters.

"Alright, I'm done. May I help you with your cape?" She opened her eyes and again he thought she might refuse, but instead she nodded, allowing him to get the cape as she stood from her chair. He helps her slip the cape over her shoulders and as she fastens the brooch around her neck, as (Y/N) went to straighten the ends of the cape and then look at her one more time, running through a mental checklist.

"Thank you," she whispers. It's not customary for princess's to thank their lady's maids, so the words come as a shock. I look up at her face and find her staring straight back at me with determination, waiting for my response.

"You're very welcome, my queen," I smile up at her and for the first time in what seems like forever, he sees her radiant smile again. (Y/N) lost himself for a moment as she stared at her smile before he shakes his head and clears his throat.

"I-I have to go help Princess Anna now, I will be back later."

(Y/N) walks to the door and stop before opening it; He didn't have to turn around to know she's still looking at him., before he quickly slips out of the door and down the hall, on the way Princess Anna's room.

The process of dressing and preparing the younger princess would be much quicker as they knew the protocol very well. He knocked on the door and stepped in before there was any response. Princess Anna could sleep the whole day if she wanted to, so it was (Y/N)'s duty to wake her. After stepping in, he went to her bedside and spoke softly.

"Princess Anna, wake up, it's time to get ready for coronation day." She stirred a little, but did not awaken. He sighed and decided on better tactics. He went to the many windows and opened the curtains wide, then opened the windows, letting the fresh air in. The princess rolled over ignoring the sunshine and slight breeze. The butler grumbled to himself in irritation.

Final chance. he pulled back her covers and left her to suffer the cold until she would wake and fumble for the sheets.

"Princess, it's time to wake up, they're opening the gates for the coronation soon and no one wants to see you in your pajamas." This got the princess up. He began to collect her clothes, and draw her bath as the princess stood up and found her way out of her clothes. He was to help her with everything and then escort her to the breakfast table, but at this rate, they would be done by lunch.

"It's coronation day?" The princess looked at (Y/N) as he nodded. "It's coronation day!"

(Y/N)'s answer seemed to wake her fully from her sleepy state as she walked over to the rather large en suite bathroom.

"Then we have to get ready don't we?" (Y/N) said, which the princess smiled and hopped into the bath, letting him hand her a soap bar and get the towels ready. She was done quickly and he helped her to dry, put her clothes on and brush her hair.

"So, do you think Elsa will be a good queen?"

He looked at the princess in through the mirror, "It's not my place to say, Anna."

"But I'm asking you (Y/N)..." She turned around in her chair to stare him in the face. She looked like a puppy, eager to please it's master.

"Well, she seemed ready earlier." The princess's eyes lit up.

"What did she look like?" He tries to continue what he started, but the princess simply won't let him until he tells her everything.

"Princess Anna." He barely even spoke, but she understood, and complied. He began putting her hair up and she piped up again.

"Sooooo?"

The butler sighed, "The princess looks no different, her hair is... the same and her face, like the queen's. She's also taller."

(Y/N) finished putting up her hair with a barrette and some ribbons. The princess never wore makeup as she found it hid her true self, I handed her the slippers she was to be wearing and she put them on with the same grace and elegance as her sister.

As (Y/N) was about to remind her of the time for coronation, Anna bounded for her door, much to (Y/N)'s surprise.

"Where are you off to?!"

"To see the rest of the castle! You said they're opening the gate today, so I want to see." she said excitedly, before opening the door and skipping down the hallway, but not before grabbing a nearby servant's hand, which turned out to be Gerda and spins with her, before Anna goes of running again.

(Y/N) just shook his head in amusement as he left the room, and went on his way to help his coworkers with their duty. Over the years he had grown accustomed to the fact that the princess could never sit still for more than a few moments. Once she got going, she was an unstoppable ball of energy.