Chapter Four

Sebastian

It could have been seconds, minutes or hours that passed by when I heard the noises around me. There was a splitting pain in my head that had me wishing to  stay unconscious.

    But I couldn't stay asleep. I had to wake up, open my eyes and assess the situation. I had to find out where that explosion came from. Had to make sure everyone was alright. Make sure the King and Queen weren't harmed and find Naomi.

    Once my mind stopped spinning I had a realization that the explosion had come from the direction of the throne room and was standing at attention within a second. I was still a little lightheaded and stumbled a few steps as I moved, clinging to the wall like I had when I was drunk, but somehow I made my way down the hall and towards the throne room. There was a dark smoke filling the corridors along with my lungs that had my stumbling increase as I used the walls to steer me true until my sight was fully restored and I could trust my own senses once more.

    I reached the throne room and wanted to vomit. It resembled the throne room, or what was left of the throne room anyways. There wasn't much to see anymore. Nothing that was pleasant anyways.

    The dark smoke from the hall filled the air everywhere it seemed , it was dark and grey which made it harder to breathe with each step i made. It also made it increasingly difficult to see,  I didn't know how I'd make it through the room to check on the King and Queen at this rate.

    I held one arm to my nose and mouth in an attempt to keep the smoke from making its way into my lungs and the rest of my body. My eyes were already burning, soon I wouldn't have any sight left. I had to get to the King and Queen, had to make sure they were alright.

    The entrance to the throne room had caved in. Rubble rained down from the ceiling, the floor was covered in dust. Little fires sprouted around the room, adding to the already existing smoke.

    As I edged inside, I could not believe the horrific sight that greeted me. Of course this is when the smoke would clear and my vision would be restored to its fullest capacity.

    I climbed over rubble, sidestepping the fires, I stumbled more than once. Chunks of debris and chunks of... No. It couldn't be. Human body parts were scattered around the room as well. Bile rose up my throat. Climbing over rubble was easy, it didn't require a second thought. Climbing over bodies and parts of bodies on the other hand? Yeah, that was far from easy, it was sick. It brought me back to my training days, the days I still experienced every now and then to keep up to the task. In my dreams and reality, I never strayed far from them.

    Bodies of men, women and, dammit, even bodies of a few children littered the floor in between chunks of debris. I didn't want to look, I didn't want to see any familiar faces, but I had to. I had to see if the King and Queen were among them. If Naomi and Deacon had come back in another entrance and had shown up in the throne room. There was nothing wrong with being too safe, it was my duty to ensure I made sure my people were alive and well. If my reason to live was okay. My purpose in life.

    "Your highness!" I screamed, my voice growing hoarse from the smoke now making its way deep into my lungs. "King Brenden! Queen Olivia!" Where were they? They had just been here! They haven't snuck away during the time I went to Naomi's room, did they? A part of me hoped they did and proved me wrong.

    It was useless to scream out, it'd only hurt my lungs further, my voice wouldn't be heard much longer if I used it like I was.. I needed to be at my full strength to find the King and Queen and then find Naomi and Deacon and then figure out what the hell had happened here and how it had been allowed to happen. My to-do list was ever-growing.