Chapter Thirteen

Naomi

The day after our first training session had me holding my hands with delicate care. After Sebastian had bandaged them, they were still sore, but I refused to back down, I wouldn't give up. Sebastian wanted me to be able to protect myself and after some thought, I couldn't deny that I wanted that as well. And when I wanted something, I got it.

"Again."

The laugh that left Sebastian, the one that usually made me smile, was now pissing me off instead. The way he looked at me in that mocking tone, it didn't sit right. I knew that he thought I was doing too much too soon, but he was the one who insisted that I needed to protect myself . He was the teacher and I was the eager student ready to learn.

"I don't appreciate the laughter, Bas."

He didn't like being called out like that, but he also didn't hide the laughter or the smile that accompanied it. He put his hands on his hips as he stared me down.

"Naomi, your knuckles are bleeding from the work that you've done."

"Had worse."

"Have not."

Sebastian walked up to me and took my hands in his. I loved how warm and safe he made me feel just by that gesture alone. The way his hands held mine within, it felt like being embraced by heaven. I'd never felt safer with anyone.

"Naomi," his voice was smooth and soft, almost like a caress. He slowly brought my hands to his lips, kissing them softly. "You can't overwork yourself. You overwork yourself and you'll be too tired to fight back if you need to. Relax a little, I won't let you out of this bunker until I know you can handle yourself."

"I took care of myself when you were in the hospital." I reminded him.

"Partially." He smirked when I frowned. "You did talk your brother into escaping with you. That's not taking care of yourself."

I pouted. "I brought backup with me, so I did take care of myself by bringing protection from Deacon." My pout turned into a grin as I gestured at my brother behind me. "So, I win this round."

Sebastian leaned in for a kiss when I pulled back from him. I tilted my head to the side. Sebastian looked slightly hurt from the rejection. I was quick to let him know that wasn't the case. "No, Bas, don't you hear that?" I took a step towards the entrance. I heard the noise again. Almost like a whistle.

"Like a whistle." Deacon murmured from the corner, hearing the noise as well, echoing my thoughts . He turned his attention from the wrapping he was covering his hands in to see the face on the guard, to know if he should be worrying or not about the sound. "Could be a bird."

"It's not." Sebastian's voice turned gruff. Far from the gentle caress he was using on me just a minute ago. He charged ahead, placing me behind him. With one motion Deacon was now behind me as he trudged ahead to the exit. "Stay."

I scoffed as I watched him walk away. He knew I hated listening to orders, even if they came from him. It was just something that I didn't want to do. Rules were meant to be broken; it was a reason I never wanted to become Queen. Queens were always upheld to higher standards, standards that I thought were below me.